Tips on Wrapping and probing brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bbqchris52

Original poster
Aug 15, 2016
I have not been able to smoke anything for a few months but I am finally getting a chance to this week. I think I will be cooking a brisket and need some tips on when to wrap. I normally wrap around 160 degrees internal. However, I read recently that you should not wrap until after the stall. My main concern is moisture retention. I almost always have tender slices but they are not always the juiciest slices. Basically what I am asking is, when should I wrap (if at all), and does making sure a tooth pick goes into the meat like butter have anything to do with its moistness or just its tenderness. I have never checked how tender the meat is, rather just cook until about 200 degrees internal. Should I start sticking a tooth pick in around 195? Please let me know what you guys think. Just a little confused on how I can have slices that pass the hang and pull tests but aren't extremely moist. Thanks!!!

I smoke brisket until a probe/skewer goes in with little resistance.  The temp could be 195-205, and then I wrap in foil and towels and rest in a cooler for at least 2 hours.  My slices sometimes fall apart, but they are never dry!  Good luck.

Mike

Reactions: hb99
I am not sure yet, most likely a flat since a packer is so  much meat

so you don't wrap until you take it off?
Yep!  I don't wrap until it reaches  probe tenderness.  This is my process, but successful brisket can be achieved in many ways.  I've never had a dry brisket, but fall apart slices have occurred.  It really pisses me off, but no-one eating it complains!
icon_lol.gif

Mike

so wrapping does not have much to do with moisture retention?

Plenty of moisture in a brisket, and moisture retention isn't an issue as long as you're cooking to temp and not time.  Be careful trimming just a flat:  most don't have a need for trimming, but I'd rather cook the whole enchilada, trim as I see fit, and use the point for chopped.  Wrapping ruins the bark in my book, and "fall apart slices" as Mike describes is a distinct possibility, especially with foil--can turn to mush pretty quickly.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky