Time on my hands

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ditto on what Ed said:  what'd you do, QCubed?  Deburring wheels?  Sandblast?  Graduated grits of sandpaper?  Do tell, please, as this looks like it just rolled off the shelf, took an oil bath, and got seasoned.

pretty simple, first I toss it on the grill and heat it up, 250-300 ish, then use a verity of wire wheels and roto strippers. Keep it hot while working it. I work on the lid awhile then wiped it out with a wet paper towel and swapped it with the pot on the grill. repeat until your happy with it. make sure you get all the dust out. and pop it back on the grill and dry it thoroughly. I like a solid shortening, Crisco or something similar. Coat all sides and place back on the grill up side down, crank up the heat a bit, 350 ish and cook an hour, then turn the heat off. leave the lid closed and let it cool slowly. When its just warm to the touch apply a second coat and repeat the heat and cooling process. 

This is just how I was taught, Ive never played with it to see what was necessary and what is not but I like the results.

Looks good I have one of my CI pans that needs to be redone.I'll give that a try. Thanks

Richie

My wife was a city girl. She had no experience cooking when we got married. My mother gave me a dutch oven just like that. My wife left it in a sink full of water over nite, while I was out of town on business. When I went to look for it a few weeks later, I could not find it. She told me with great indignation that the old skillet was worthless because it had rusted over nite and ruined, so she threw it and the lid in the trash.

I did not quite cry, but I did tell her how much that dutch oven was worth in both money and sentimental value to me.

I made sure my mother has never found out what happened to that dutch oven.

the old skillet was worthless because it had rusted over nite and ruined, so she threw it and the lid in the trash.

I did not quite cry, but I did tell her how much that dutch oven was worth in both money and sentimental value to me.

I made sure my mother has never found out what happened to that dutch oven.
Gasp!!!

My wife scrubbed one clean with soapy water and put it away damp a few years back. She felt bad and we made it right together... of course we did it by hand and it took half a day. Boy was she pissed when she saw me doing one a while after that using power tools. She still brings it up now and again, I just chuckle with a comment about what a good lesson it was :)

My Lodge dutch oven waits in the cupboard, dry and ready. My next rehab project is a Favorite Ware skillet from Piqua, Ohio, needing some wire brush love.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky