time for snack stix

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

checkdude

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 1, 2016
winnipeg. canada
At a previous post i mentioned having several rabbits to use up so decided to make some stix. 20210118_093441.jpg since rabbit is so
lean pork shoulder was included .Had 3 of them in the freezer so good way to make room. Deboned the rabbit and cut up the pork. 20210118_112237.jpg Put in freezer to chill while get spices ready. 20210118_131225.jpg Mix everything together
exept the eca. In the fridge overnight to meld the flavors, next day remix and add eca and stuff. 20210119_111300.jpg Ready for the smoker. run about 6 hrs. with hickory and finished in water bath to it-160.The few time before i kept it in the smoker till finish IT but the casings dried out and got hard and chewy. Not this time. Nice and tender. 20210119_214955.jpg Hang to bloom for a bit then in the fridge in paper bags for a day. Then cut up and vaccum seal before taking it out to my grandkids. 20210121_192216.jpg Even couple of bags of ends for me to snack on!

Damn nice job. Well done for sure. Wild rabbits or raised?

Domestic. My son and his wife raise a bunch. Still have few to turn into something. Very tasty white meat.

What does your water bath set up look like and do you place the sticks directly in the water or in bags??

Looks good from here. What does rabbit taste like, I only recall having it once.

A little like Squirrel, but much more tender. IMO
I've only ever had it floured & Pan-fried, and often made into Rabbit Pie with Taters, Onions, etc, etc.... And Lots of Broth!!
LOL---My Mother, and her "Rabbit Pie, Squirrel Pie, Pheasant Pie, Duck Pie, etc, etc....All Wild.

Bear

What does your water bath set up look like and do you place the sticks directly in the water or in bags??
I have rectangular tub with lid and inova heater,always just directly in the water but next time will try big ziploc bags. For some reason this time I got some grease out.

Reactions: pa42phigh
I have rectangular tub with lid and inova heater,always just directly in the water but next time will try big ziploc bags. For some reason this time I got some grease out.
What temp do you use ? I like 140 for sausage , then use the time on the chart . I don't take the internal temp .

What temp do you use ? I like 140 for sausage , then use the time on the chart . I don't take the internal temp .
I think this time I used 155 or 160 for 1 hr. Since it had rabbit i was not sure of proper temp and played it safe.Turned out juicy with nice snap to the casings. Used collagen 21mm since I have full caddy. Probably enough for next 10 years lol.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky