Time for me to return to the charcoal side

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I’m with GMC. My 26er with SnS XL with B&B briqs will burn @ 250-280 for 7-8 hrs. It’ll burn much longer set up with a snake burning around a medium Vortex.

if your looking to tend fire alot get one of the cheap ones your talking about. /shrug....I think the 560 owners have provided great info on the 560 threads going here which are many. For $500 it provides the best of both worlds easy set it and forget it..really lol...Gives plenty of smoke I seen some fat rings on 560 food. Not to mention at right around $500 the price is a freakin steal. otherwise save up for a rec tec or a kamodo joe.

I plan to hook up with some other members one day and do a test tasting of a "real" smoker compared to my MES + AMNPS. I have serious doubts there will much difference. I started with charcoal and gave up: pre internet/snake method... Bought a MB gasser and liked it but was PITA. Bought an MES based on all the users here for $99 and tried the AMNPS and was HOOKED. I am making seriously good stuff. I completely admit that at first I felt MES was "cheating" but no longer do. In a few years I went from a guy that ran some ribs a few times a year and maybe a turkey to running something 2-3x per month. I have made all sorts of stuff I would have never imagined and it is mainly due to my setup being so user friendly. If you have the time to tinker... by all means BUT I don't think that it automatically will give you better results.

30 hrs is insanely good. I doubt a $300 smoker is gonna be able to perform to that standard, though!

I stumbled upon a guy who makes charcoal baskets and his "beast basket" for the Oklahoma Joe Bronco will likely get 30 hours.

Video Proof:

I plan on getting one myself but if you can pick up the bronco on clearance and add this basket, you can get 30 hours out of a $300 or less smoker

I stumbled upon a guy who makes charcoal baskets and his "beast basket" for the Oklahoma Joe Bronco will likely get 30 hours.

Video Proof:

I plan on getting one myself but if you can pick up the bronco on clearance and add this basket, you can get 30 hours out of a $300 or less smoker

I should have come back and let y’all know...

I watched a Masterbuilt Gravity fans group on Facebook and people were having to hot wire around the lid switch because it broke, fans frying, etc.

Not wanting to risk it, I got the Bronco Pro in Orange and have been incredibly happy with it. Holds temps like a beast and no leaks from the very beginning. Thermometer on the outside is garbage, but I left it for aesthetics. I monitor with my Inkbird, anyways :)

Attachments

• 20E0A360-16FC-4DE8-99E8-A3B74240B294.jpeg
    20E0A360-16FC-4DE8-99E8-A3B74240B294.jpeg
    193 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: jon4rd
Another option is the Weber 26" Kettle. I use my kettles for smokes that last under 6hrs. and my WSM for smokes that go longer. I just purchased the slow-n-sear so I will start using the 26" for longer smokes. As I get used to it.

Chris
My vote is for the Weber kettle, and some different accessories slow n sear, charcoal baskets, vortex, good briquettes and snake method. Great versatile grill, and smoker all in one depending on technique. Use all the leftover money for charcoal, wood, and meat. I have a UDS, Brinkman electric smoker, and Ducane natural gas grill that will, rarely if ever get used again now that I have a Weber Kettle. I love it

Idk if that’s directed at me, but to me grilling is cooking smaller cuts of meat quickly over direct flame/heat with drippings burning on hot coals to flavor meat. Hot and fast. BBQ/Smoked is slow and low over indirect heat with some wood smoke/charcoal to flavor meat. You can easily do either or on Weber kettle. I could grill on my UDS using bottom grate, putting full load of charcoal, and leaving top off. I could also smoke on my natural gas Ducane grill, firing up only one side with smoker box full of chips, or just chunks on grate and meat on other side.

I'm curious... never could figure out how you grill with a barrel smoker ??
On the Oklahoma Joe bronco, the heat deflector plate can be flipped and the charcoal basket can be put on top of the heat deflector for high heat grilling. It’s quick and easy to flip it too. Makes reverse searing steaks simple because you can take off the smoked steaks, change it to the grill configuration, and let the coals heat up before searing the steaks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky