Time between cure and cold smoke, 4 days okay?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jceroli42

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 22, 2017
Evening all, I'm curing about 30lbs of bacon, it's ready tomorrow, I usually cold smoke overnight fridge during day then cold smoke again, problem is I'm going away. I don't want to leave it in the cure until I return (as I think it would be too long) so would it be okay if:

Wed/Thur - Take it out of cure, wash it down, wrap and back in fridge
Monday - Start the cold smoking?

what kind of cure are you using, wet or dry, if wet I don't think a couple extra days in the brine will hurt, as for the dry i'm not sure. I usually use pop's brine. i'm sure someone will be around with better answers

I would leave the cure on. When you get home take a test slice that's not all "bark" and fry it up. If it's too salty, you may have to purge, but I highly doubt it.

My buddy left his in almost 2 weeks past pull time and all it did was darken and get a bit of a case hardening to it.

What are the numbers for the Rhulman's dry brine ??? I have found he does not follow USDA recommendation when using cure etc...

I have left canadian bacon in a dry brine for over 3 weeks and just soaked it longer to remove the saltiness before smoking.

What are the numbers for the Rhulman's dry brine ??? I have found he does not follow USDA recommendation when using cure etc...

So I use .25% of weight in pink salt. Have to check the kosher and sugar percentages when I get home.

I use a dry cure and never let it sit less than 7 days (sometimes longer depending on when I can smoke). 1 day for each 1/2 inch at the thickest part then I add 3 or 4 days.

Just how I do it.
Link

I use a dry cure and never let it sit less than 7 days (sometimes longer depending on when I can smoke). 1 day for each 1/2 inch at the thickest part then I add 3 or 4 days.

Just how I do it.
Link
Same here hence my dilema and question.

So I use .25% of weight in pink salt. Have to check the kosher and sugar percentages when I get home.
From the pink salt figure that's an equilibrium cure. Dont know your salt 4 days is not.enough. 3 weeks, even 4 is not too long.

You can also vacuum it, freeze and continue curing when you have time.

From the pink salt figure that's an equilibrium cure. Dont know your salt 4 days is not.enough. 3 weeks, even 4 is not too long.

You can also vacuum it, freeze and continue curing when you have time.
My percentages are 2% salt 1.5% brown sugar .25% cure. Costco bellies. I’m on day 10.

I can take it out Day 11/12 wash and put in zip locks then I’m back on day 16 to smoke. Or I just leave it for 16 days.

Reactions: webs05
Or pull it before you leave and let rest in the fridge till you get back

Reactions: chopsaw
If it's Thin, <1.5, you can pull it or let it go. If >1.5, Let it Ride to make sure you cured through and through...JJ

My percentages are 2% salt 1.5% brown sugar .25% cure. Costco bellies. I’m on day 10.

I can take it out Day 11/12 wash and put in zip locks then I’m back on day 16 to smoke. Or I just leave it for 16 days.
=======================
Those %'s are fine... You will not need to soak... You can leave your meat under refrigeration (34-38F) for 15-30 days or longer... Not a problem...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky