Throwdowns??????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
As for making the entry written description only then showing pic after win lol. O.o .... I guess the English majors will win a majority of those contests, eh? lol.
Fair point. How about a combo of picture and write-up/description of the plate. The pic will show off the goods and the write up will describe the actual components.

Chris

Plating should represent what we usually do at home, not based on what high end restaurants do. Most of us take most of our meals at home, and we should present them as such.

I haven't participated in a throwdown yet. I'm sure I will if the theme hits me right. I do enjoy seeing everyone's entries though and vote in all of them. I think "gravy" didn't lend much to the creativity that's often showcased here. I do love me some gravy though and all 3 entries looked delicious

Also if anyone wants to step up and help coordinate them please send me a PM and we can see if its a good fit.

Brian
That's a pretty good idea Brian. Maybe a committee of two or three members to put it together, and oversee it. Then all you would be responsible for is making sure it adheres to the SMF guidelines.

Chris

Reactions: kilo charlie
Having participated in similar things on other forums I'd just like to say that a photo is really the only thing you can submit online to reach around the world. Sure a nice description helps to explain the photo but as the saying goes, A photo is worth 1000 words.

I feel that the Topic and associated "label" should be followed, but if the topic is say .. Sausage.. does it have to be homemade? Some of you would say yes, but then that limits the entries to only the people who make their own Sausage. Can everyone make Gravy? Nope! Not yet anyways!

What if the topic was Ribeye? Would you have to buy a cow, raise it and butcher it yourself to get that very specific cut of meat? What if the Topic was Corn? Do you have to plant the seed, grow the whole stalk and harvest it in order for it to count? Sounds absurd doesn't it?

This site, as well as the Throw Downs have grown far beyond smoked things. Just take a look at the main page and you'll see.

For me, the Throw Downs are a challenge to my skills. Can I learn something new and present it in an eye catching way? That's the fun part for me personally.

If I recall correctly, in a past Sausage Throw Down, I made an elaborate version of a Low Country Boil that included a smoked sausage, but it also had corn I did not plant, shrimp I did not catch, potatoes that I did not dig up and even a freaking lobster that I didn't dive into the ocean to catch (this time). I did make my own butter from cream, but i didnt milk the cow to get that cream. I met all the criteria of the current rules though.

Just trying to offer another point of view.

I do enjoy the throwdowns but have never participated....other than voting.
My skills are nowhere near the level of the entrants and I very rarely use homemade rubs or other ingredients.
I always enjoy ready the descriptions and appreciate the time and effort others place on this!
I did plan to enter but work, family and the holidays interfered. Maybe next time!

Keith

Did someone say GRAVY? :emoji_blush:
Reading through this thread I realized I had a cook quite some time ago would have been perfect, just didn't have the word gravy in it and was uglier than sin but damn it was tasty! Left over smoked chuck roast, first time making smoked smashed taters, on homemade buns ( might have been a mix , again not sure) but it was 3 layers high, messy, and so good!

20220508_205828.jpg

Ryan

Thx . All home made sausage . If thats the one you voted for I appreciate it . Got a really nice prize for my efforts .
I think so, cant seem to find the thread now. If you stated homemade then coupled with the beer I’m pretty sure it was ;)

More generally, my point, to everyone, was I try to look beyond the pic itself (though your pic there is quite nice) into the work that went into it and how well it fits the theme, and if course how appetizing I find it. For the sausage theme that meant the homemade sausage got my vote over a purchased sausage - other things being relatively equal - everything has limits. Just a homemade sausage on a paper plate aint gonna do it. Since we’re judging food it is all personal preference and opinion, these are some of mine and how I approach voting. OK, ‘nuff rambling from me 🤔

I like this more every time I see it Ryan
needs just a touch more gravy
View attachment 650696

David
That's farmer plating right there! I do love some gravy, for sure. Maybe sometime this winter I'll try a couple ideas I had for this throwdown...would have been fun.
But as mentioned earlier...bacon jam...it's on my to do list but had forgotten about it!

Ryan

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Did someone say GRAVY? :emoji_blush:
Reading through this thread I realized I had a cook quite some time ago would have been perfect, just didn't have the word gravy in it and was uglier than sin but damn it was tasty! Left over smoked chuck roast, first time making smoked smashed taters, on homemade buns ( might have been a mix , again not sure) but it was 3 layers high, messy, and so good!

View attachment 650695

Ryan
Now that's a "gravy" dish I'd be all over, ugly or not .....

Reactions: 912smoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky