Throat on Bell

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Risingjay1

Original poster
Apr 30, 2022
Hi all. I'm getting ready to cut out the throat opening for the firebox that has a bell mating to the cc that has a bell. My question is how do I layout the opening? Its a 100 cu in throat. If I make a template of the throat opening do I hold it vertically to the bell and trace it out or do I hold it at a 45 degree angle and trace it? If I go vertically I believe the throat would end up bigger. Does anyone have pics of a bell to bell throat opening?

Also, there is a drian smack dab in the middle of the bell, so I was thinking of raising the firebox 1 1/4" up from center of tank / above grate. Any downside to this?

Standard offset, 110 gallon build.

Hope to start a new thread this weekend with pics on the build.

Thank you

Also

Well, maybe I explained wasn’t clear enough but it doesn’t matter anyway. I went ahead and cut theFB to CC chamber today Bell to Bell. Didn’t go as I wanted but it may have spawned a new idea and I need to get opinions!

So I messed the bell to bell cuts and to correct it I had to go roughly an 1 1/4” past the weld seam on the CC. So I’m kicking around the idea of putting the throat opening on top of the FB. The bell on the FB would the the act like a deflector plate. Originally I was going to have the throat on the side and mount a plate to deflect the air up anyway, so why not have it go straight up to begin with?

What are you’re thoughts?

Attachments

• 0BD4695F-5AAA-4951-8999-67D769855086.jpeg
    0BD4695F-5AAA-4951-8999-67D769855086.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 41
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky