Thoughts on vacuum sealing smoked salmon?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wrybread

Original poster
Aug 18, 2021
I just finished smoking a batch of salmon and am about to bag it up. I usually vacuum seal it, and try to press the seal button before the vac sealer puts too much suction on the salmon and starts pulling out the oils. It still often doesn't look that good though. I was thinking about wrapping the salmon in saran wrap first to see if that helps. Has anyone else hit the issue? Any clever solutions?

Thanks for any help.

Here's a pic of my warmup batch, so tasty. I did 8:1 sugar to salt, brined overnight until firm, then lightly rinsed, then smoked for about 4 hours bringing the temp up to 145.

1671352468024.png

Reactions: nicefly
There are vacuum sealers that have a "moist "seal feature. It doesn't draw a full vacuum which is great for damp/fragile items. Mine is an inkbird. Look it upon Amazon.

Last edited:
I freeze really moist items before putting under the vac.
My sealer has a pulse button so I can inch my way and re-position items before making the seal.
Here's the expensive reply, get a chamber sealer

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky