Thoughts on last weekends brisket.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BerettaRacer

Original poster
Apr 20, 2020
Ft Lauderdale
I'm fairly new to cooking brisket and had an issue last weekend.
So last Sat I'm in Costco and pick up a 7 lb brisket flat, head home, do a real light trim, then apply pretty much standard rub, smoked salt, pepper, garlic etc. and let it sit overnight.
Sunday, up early, and brisket goes onto the smoker at 8: AM. Since I have a Masterbuilt vertical, what I have done is to smoke with fat cap down to protect the meat. Smoke for 4 hrs at about 220, gave me an internal of about 165-170.
Flipped the brisket over to fat cap up, into 2 layers of foil, added a little broth, whorchestershire, dale's etc, sealed and into oven. Initially had oven up around 300, but as soon as internal started to climb again (less than an hour) dropped oven down to 220 or so. Within a few hours internal was up into the 190's so I dropped oven temp to 200. Soon internal settled in at 195. I like to to have good slicing texture rather than going up to 203 or so for pulled texture. I let things ride with internal never getting above 196, until 6:PM. So in total, 4 hrs smoke, 6 hrs oven. Let brisket rest until 8:PM. and cut some thick slices for dinner.
I noticed a few things. Brisket had good texture, and cut easily, but did not have the usual flavor, was kind of bland. Another thing looking at the cross section of the cut, there was little or no marbling within the meat. Fat cap had been reduced quite a bit but was somewhat still there.
So my thinking is, holding at 195 IT gave me about the texture I was looking for, for slicing and chopping. But I either had a very lean brisket with little internal marbling for flavor and juiciness, or that by maintaining the IT at 195 for to long I may have rendered all the fat out of the meat, leaving it a little dry and bland. By the way, the au jus cookoff had some fat but not an extreme amount. Even now, a few days later, looking at the cross section of the cut, there is some upper fat, good smoke, but the internal of the meat is so lean and compact it almost looks like an 1 1/2" thick piece of loin.
Your thoughts???

Some briskets are just better than others coming from the grocery. Also the salt setting over night on a lean piece of meat will extract moisture. This is fine if you have marbling, if not this tends to dry the meat, as it should. With just a flat I would salt and cook within an hour, but that’s just me.

Reactions: tallbm and TNJAKE
Yup. What he said. And I don't see any good reason to hold that internal temp of 195 for so long. Could have just turned the oven off until 8pm suppertime and would have better off and perfectly safe.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Thanks for the above tips, had time so just took a pic of leftovers.

20210805_181026.jpg

So this pic is right now, cold, and just out of refer.

Last edited:
My guess is that came from a youngish cow just about still a heifer. Cattle go to slaughter for odd reasons sometimes and that meat looks it to me. More select than choice and probably not from a steer. So flavor will be very mild. Just guessing. Still good eats, just not exceptional.

Thanks for the above tips, had time so just took a pic of leftovers.

View attachment 506815

So this pic is right now, cold, and just out of refer.
Hi there and welcome!

The moment you mentioned a 7 pound brisket I had some concerns. I thought it was either JUST a brisket flat or just a small brisket.

I always shoot for 14-15 pound whole packer briskets at minimum. Why? So I can trim off the thin portion of the flat leaving a nice thick uniform flat on the brisket so there are less chances of the flat drying out.

Anyhow, there is a chance that not enough of the collagen broke down that I thin I see there in the meat and could be a reason for it being dry with less flavor.

If you cut a good chunk, put in foil with a splash of water or beer and a little salt for that liquid then put in the oven and cook it to where you know it may be really tender you can see if it was a collagen and Internal Temp (IT) issue. The good thing is you can salvage your brisket by simply doing what I suggest with some BBQ sauce or chopping it so it will fit in a crockpot and pour in some BBQ sauce and a little more seasoning and you will have amazing chopped/shreded brisket :D

Reactions: WI Smoker77
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky