• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thoughts on Insulated Firebox?

ambucher

Fire Starter
Joined Aug 22, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I sold my Horizon 16" Classic and I am looking at an upgrade.  I have been leaning towards a Peoria Cookers Backyard 24"x48" model. The Horizon was a touch on the small side for me, and I think that this Backyard model will give me all that I need.  Here is a link to the cooker: http://www.peoriacookers.com/custom-cookers/backyard-cooker.html .  Here is my question....I am working within a budget and one of the options to add to this smoker is an insulated firebox.  The main issue is cost.  The cost to add an insulated firebox is almost $600.  Is it really worth it?  With the other options I am looking at, I am already looking at a total cost of a little over $2000.

I live in Central Illinois (about 15 miles from the Peoria Cookers factory).  I may enter some small local competitions during the summer, but mainly this cooker will be used for family cookouts and football Saturdays and Sundays. I cook year around (except in subzero temps.....much like the last month!).  I mainly cook with seasoned cherry, apple, and hickory.....all of which I have a fairly good supply.  Can anyone give me some thoughts and their experiences with an insulated firebox?  Is it worth it?

Thank you for all of your help!

harleysmoker93

Fire Starter
Joined Jun 2, 2013
ambucher

I just ordered my new PCC 24x48 backyard model. I had the same question you had. I wasn't quite sure if it was worth the $600 for an insulated firebox. As a matter of fact I ordered mine Tuesday with a non insulated firebox. I had a hard time justifying the cost especially since I live in New Mexico and for most part weather has never really been a factor in controlling pit temps. Inexperience and a smoker that was not very air tight were my biggest issues till I joined this forum. That being said I could not help but worrying I was making a mistake that I would regret later. I have been saving for a nice custom pit for a while and it is going to have to last me a long time. This morning I called Sarah Beth and changed my order to include the insulated firebox. Although it put me a little over my budget I feel relieved that I will not be spending all that money and end up having regrets about my purchase. The other good thing is I have 4-6 weeks till the balance is due so I have a little time to save up the extra $$. I thought they were going to want all the money when I ordered it but they only required 10% down.

Anyway, just my thoughts and what I went through making me decision.

Good luck with your decision and your new smoker.

ambucher

Fire Starter
Joined Aug 22, 2012
Harley-

Thanks for the input. After reading what your thoughts, I agree, and think i am going to go the same route.  I have been debating this for several days now.  I plan on having this cooker for quite a while and hate the thought of having any regrets.  I have read nothing but positive reviews of the smoker with the insulated firebox.  In the long run, the extra cost won't be such a big deal.  So, I guess I fork the money over and go for it!

Good luck with yours.  I am sure we with both be happy campers :)

Happy smoking!

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.