This Why Us Homemade Sausage Makers Are Different

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Meateater I believe he answered that in post #10

"Of late I have been visiting local farms and procuring from them. It isn't any cheaper and in fact I am paying a 30 - 50 cent premium in most cases but not all. The bellies I have curing now came from a farm 10 miles from my house. For 58lbs it ran me roughly $1.99/lbs which is still an exceptional deal for organic. I had to wait 4 weeks before they were ready to pick up. That is probably not the answer either of you were expecting but I am willing to put my money where my mouth is."
Your killing my fun here Brian, I've led him in multiple directions without a clear answer.You start a post, be prepared to take the heat. 
icon14.gif

Your killing my fun here Brian, I've led him in multiple directions without a clear answer.You start a post, be prepared to take the heat. 
icon14.gif

I would say up to this point I have been humoring you. Take what heat?

IMHO - The USA has one of the safest food supplies in the world.

That said, there's always room for improvement!

We purchase 1/2 a steer every year from a local farmer.  This year I paid $2.05 hanging weight, and that worked out to about $2.80, cur & wrapped.  It does cost a little more to buy from a local farmer, processor or butcher, but I'm more confident in the quality of the meat.

Hutterite colonies, Amish and some local farmers raise good quality beef, pork and poultry.  Search out these family farms, and I believe you can avoid the large processors and meat packers.

Todd

You guys are getting a good price on locally raised and buchered pork and beef. For organic beef I normally pay around $4.00/lb cut and wrapped. TJohnson, $2.80 cut and wrapped is not even a little more than running to Albertsons or Cosco, that is a great price!!! I just bought a half a pig, it ended up being around $3.65/lb cut a wrapped. I am not opposed to getting meat from the grocery store. I think the article is nothing but left wing propaganda.

Look at all those open air market in some of the other countries and it's quite appalling seeing the way raw meat is just laid out on a table all day for all the insect's egg laying pleasure and a field day for most bacterial organisms. I don't worry too much about what I get at an American grocery store. Granted small farm raised meat is most assuredly better but like I said I ain't worrying.

The safety of the food isn't the issue with me. I agree with Todd that the supply itself is very safe. Wholesome is another matter completely. The criminal operation of these companies is probably the most disconcerting part to me.

Last time I checked around here CWF was around $3-3.40 a Lb for beef, have not checked on pig lately, I still have some stuff in my freezer to use up before getting one for winter.

It is difficult to find even good ground beef for less than $3.50 a Lb.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky