This was too funny! TLC Channel in Wikipedia...(for Pitmaster fans)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cowgirl

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 2, 2007
Oklahoma
Under the "history" section of the TLC channel..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TLC_(TV_channel)

"TLC still aired educational programmes such as "Paleoworld" (a show about prehistoric creatures), though more and more of its programming began to be devoted to niche audiences for shows regarding subjects like home improvement (HomeTime and Home Savvy were two of the first), arts and crafts (similar to Martha Stewart), crime programmes such as The New Detectives and medical programming (particularly reality-based ones following real operations of real people and following them through the process), and other shows that appealed to daytime audiences, particularly housewives. This was to be indicative of a major change in programming content and target audience over the next few years. They came up with a great show called Pitmasters in 2009 but in the second season they changed the format to be like the shows on the Foodnetwork and chose 2 judges that know nothing about BBQ and desided to throw in challenges that had nothing to do with BBQ. All the loyal fans of the show were disappointed and voiced their opinions, but TLC ignored them and would not respond costing them many, many viewers. Those that continued to watch only did so to support the members of (name removed by me to protect the innocent) BBQ forum."

biggrin.gif

icon_cool.gif

Now I have watched a copuple of the pitmaster shows and it was pretty bad to me. In the first season I really disliked Myron and really liked Johnny Trigg so I watched his cookoff with all the same smokers and that was interesting to say the least. Now this season seems pretty darn stupid to me so I haven't watched any yet. After all I'm sure Warren Sapp has maybe eaten BBQ and I'm sure that he a cook what now. And he's a judge.

Last edited:
I was flipping threw the channels late last night and came across Pitmasters.  It was half over but I still thought I would get to watch some good cooking in the last half hour of the show.  Now this is the first time I have been able to catch an episode this year.  Where was the BBQ and the Competition?  Last year it was a pretty good show.  It's stupid now.  I watched till the next commercial and never turned it back.  Ended up watching BBQ with Bobby F. 

I agree, If I want to watch a game show I'll check the game channel... If I watch a Pitmaster show, I want to see some pit action.

I have a feeling that the producers of the show got the message loud and clear from the Qers who tuned in.. 

I wonder how long wikipedia will leave the last half of that paragraph up?
biggrin.gif

I agree, If I want to watch a game show I'll check the game channel... If I watch a Pitmaster show, I want to see some pit action.

I have a feeling that the producers of the show got the message loud and clear from the Qers who tuned in.. 

I wonder how long wikipedia will leave the last half of that paragraph up?
biggrin.gif
Probably until someone from TLC edits it. BTW TLC is getting a ton of grief about the show on their Facebook page.

Hey Cowgirl, you said you had some friends competing begining of September. How do they feel about it? Are they upset with it all too?

Cliff I heard that Kingsford is catching heck too....

Terry, they said it was fun and HOT, not upset at all.  They can't say much more until their show airs on the second,  I'm sure they will have more to say after it airs......... I have no idea how they did but will watch them anyway.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Personally, I think this season of the show is a travesty.  That being said, my household is a perfect example of what they were looking for in the show this season.  While I loved the show last year, my wife never watched it with me, and I usually waited until she went to bed to watch it on DVR.  This season, she really likes it, and looks forward to it.  I watch it with her, because, well, it's better than Jersey Shore, or whatever other crap she would want to watch if we weren't watching it.  Therefore, they doubled the viewership in my house with the change. 

Plus, that means we go to bed together, which, ummmm...yeah, I'm ok with.

I find the new show way better than the original.  the original was so staged it wasn't even funny.  the judges all know there food, but yes myron know his BBQ a little better than the other two, but from the last two shows I watched the other two knew what they were talking about. 

the old version would have been dead in the water by the end of this season if they didn't change it.  how many times can some one watch the same thing over and over, heck I quite watching it after 4 or 5 episoids as it was boaring as heck.  at leat this one has some twists and surprises.  I don't know how the article can say the twists have nothing to do with BBQ.  BBQed rattle snake is BBQed, as for the sides, doesn't everyone serve sides with there BBQ?  why not add them to the judging..

Steve

I sent TLC an email and got a total BS canned response then went to Facebook and the production company is getting slammed and not responding even on their home page - they just keep saying be sure to watch tonite - if I was them I would at least acknowledge the response somehow

At most comps the pit master is not the ones making the sides unless it's an ingrediant off the grill . The sides if they are judged are judged seperatly from any meat entry.

As with any sanctioned comp the sides have nothing to do w/ your q.

There aint no way in h--l that i are most of the folks i know would enter a rib comp if we were told ,

Cook your ribs but if your green beans are lousy we wont judge your ribs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky