This Should Be Interesting

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Here are two more pictures.

one is my son putting the BSKD with me and the other is me snowblowing my neighbors.

The snow blowing was this morning with a temp of 7 degrees F. Not sure what the temp was with the wind chill but lets just say that Starbucks decide just to serve the coffee on a stick

I'm jealous, jealous I say...... So you got her at your house (should say...in your house). Sorry about the missing parts. Hate when that happens. You'll have to let us know how she smokes. I hear there are mods for her. Guess the one I saw was her twin sister.

Well bro, from what I can see ,from your weather and the missing parts, you didn't get to smoke this weekend. So I'll share mine with you. Just 2 butts, but first time I have done 2 overnight. 1 took 10 hrs and the other 13 hrs. Was nervous when I went to bed. Got up at 3am and the small one was ready to wrap. The GOSM held it's own all night long.

My snow blower hasn't been used in 12 years. Not that it doesn't or hasn't snowed in SW Missouri it just doesn't usually stick around long. I have my tractor anyway.
I used to live in Traverse City MI. I remember the first time I heard a forecast about "lake effect snow" and asked a friend what that was. All he said was I was about to find out. That's a learning experience no one should have to suffer. Everyone got around town and back and forth to work on snowmobiles. I had to hitch a ride with a co-worker, because nobody told me I needed a snowmobile.
I stuck around for one more summer then fled to AZ just before winter.

It was a balmy-18 here this morning.I was reading a thread on another site where a guy or two in Canada were running their Stumps Clones this weekend and NO PROBLEM mantaining 250* in -34 temps.Gotta get the gasser done so I can start the next one.

Sorry for the information freeze.....ooops, more than a Fruedian slip. We started out Saturday night at 11:30 PM with a 8 pound butt followed by a 8 pound brisett flat at 2 pm and finally ribs the following day. Hickory chunks and 4 degrees. By Sunday at one, we were cold, very tired and hungry. Foiled the butt Foiled the flat about an hour later. Ribs went 2/2/1. Snowing and cold. Meanwhile, tonto and I were getting ready for a crowd of freinds for the super bowl. By kick off, we were just too tired to write or send pics......but the results were some of the best groceries we've done.
Question: cooking in a GOSM propane, how many hours do you get from a normal tank at cold temps? The big block held it's temp like a champ. At near zero the entire time, I only got about 14 hours off a tank. Can that be right? In the summer, I can get at least twice that.

Here in Denver, I got about 16 hours/tank (used about 2 1/2 tanks so far) all in the 5-15* temp area with no wind to speak of holding about 225-250* throughout the smoke. Haven't really got to use it yet in the summer. Only thing I noticed was it used a lot of water in the pan. About every second time I added wood, I needed to add water.

KE

The wind is the killer! I can handle the cold but the wind just drains you! I was wearing a tyvek suit under my clothes last week to block the wind on the waterfront. This weeks gonna be brutal!

:shock:

That is probably about right in the kind of weather you were fighting Bud. During the summer you should get about 25 hours or a little more off a 20 gal. tank. I highly recommend a spare for the GOSM just in case. I bought a 30 gallon tank for the GOSM and have the tank off the propane grill for a spare.

Thanks for the feedback on tank life. Guess mine lasted about the average time given the sub teen temps. And, by all means, I've got an extra tank....about 6 am on Sunday morning, the tank went out and off to Speedway I went.

See our new thread on "lessons Learned from quing in sub zero weather".

Bud, you and Tonto are remarkable. I can't imagine living through temperatures like that, much less keeping a long term smoke going!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky