This New Addiction

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

backwoodssmoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
Northern Michigan
Hello All,  Funny how an addiction can start.  While workin our beehives I joked to my wife "I need to stuff this "smoker" (used to calm bees) with hot dogs, I'm hungry"  Well it just grew from that day on.  Did a fridge conversion (woodburner), it has worked good but like everything has room for improvement.  Was a crane operator till the economy caved.  Beekeeping (Selling Honey) went from hobby to payin job.  Now if I could just make a GREAT BBQ sauce to use our honey in.....Hmmmm.   I also do Maple syrup in the spring, anybody heard of a Maple - Honey BBQ sauce..???  

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome Backwoods to SMF. I hope that you have some down time from the honey and maple syrup bussiness for awhile. You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction  

Thanks,  It started to snow here today, so the bee season is done, Maple season ain't till spring, I got an extra 11 cord of firewood looks like its SMOKIN season.  

Welcome to SMF glad you joined us. Honey in a sauce can be very good I've tried a few that had it. Have fun and happy smoking

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Honey and Maple syrup? Yum and Welcome!  I put maple syrup in my pork brine, well, and a lot of other stuff too. Looking forward to seeing and hearing from you. Cheers!

Welcome. Sounds like you got a lot of time on your hands for a while. Do some searching thru the forums and I am sure you will find a sauce you like

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Thanks for the introduction, and welcome to the SMF. It's all good my friend.

Welcome Backwoods Beeman!

Glad you're here!

How about making yourself a "Honey-Teriyaki" ???

I can taste it, just thinking about it!

Bear

Welcome aboard!  You got the right idea, it's smokin' season! haha  Maple Syrup and Honey, hummmm.  I recently had a honey chipolte sauce that was excellent.

Hi Smoker,

saw your post and thought I would offer my thoughts.  Have a good friend who runs a honey company in Waxahachie, TX and I am always using honey in the kitchen.  Have never heard of a maple-honey bbq sauce before but was intrigued by the thought and wanted to take a stab at it.

The qview:

99eb00c1_maplehoneysauce.jpg

It turned out pretty good, sweet and spicy.  Definitely wouldn't use it as a marinade with all that sugar but would work well as a finishing mop sauce or table sauce.

Recipe:

1/2C ketchup

2 tsp sriracha

1/2tsp lemon juice

2 tbsp maple syrup

2 tbsp honey

2 tsp apple cider vinegar

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp chili powder

1 tsp coarse black pepper

1 tbsp dehydrated chopped onion

1 tbsp Jeff's rub

combine all ingredients and simmer until well blended.  if you try it let me know what you think!!

for a less spicy sauce, use 1 tsp sriracha.

-Kevin

Maybe you could carve me a big one to scare them off. Now I'm worried, my smoker sets about 30 ft from some of our hives YIKES.. I'm not cookin for 'em thats for sure.

Maybe you could carve me a big one to scare them off. Now I'm worried, my smoker sets about 30 ft from some of our hives YIKES.. I'm not cookin for 'em thats for sure.

I don't think any of mine would scare them.  
icon_mrgreen.gif

I do have pictures of a 200+ pound black bear up a tree, chewing on one of my black bear cub carvings.

He chewed on his feet, clawed his back & shoulder, and bit his Poplar Butt!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky