Third time’s a charm!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JBPilot

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 29, 2019
Arkansas
This is the third brisket that I’ve done and I’d say it’s finally one that I’m proud of how it turned out! The only thing I could have done better was to trim a little more fat off of it in the beginning but it still was awesome! I didn’t take a whole lot of pictures (actually none of the before) because I was a little nervous it would t turn out like I wanted (like the last 2). It was just a little over a 14lb prime packer I picked up at Sam’s Club for a good price. I trimmed probably 1 1/2 lbs of fat from it and thought I had it good enough. It got rubbed down with the same seasoning (Redneck Gourmet Beef rub) as before, because everyone (me included) loves the flavor from that rub, Friday afternoon then rested in the fridge about 6-8 hours uncovered. About 9:45pm I lit off the propane smoker and got it started warming up. The temps stabilized out at about 240* (10* shy of what I wanted) after about 20-30 minutes so into the hickory smoke it went. I stayed up until about 11 watching the temps on my inkbird IBT6X and decided all was going well so I sacked out for the night. I put 3 probes in, 2 in the flat and 1 in the point. Next time I’ll probably just do one in the Point and one in the flat. I don’t know when or at what temp the stall occurred because I closed the app and didn’t get to store the graph information. The alarms on the app are so horrendously loud that my wife would kill me if they went off next to the bed at 2am! I don’t sleep the greatest to begin with so I knew I’d be awake a few times during the night and just checked the temps then. At 2 and 4 all was right on schedule if not a little ahead. At about 7:30 it was reading about 195* in the thickest part of the flat so I started probing it. Parts were like butter but that thickest part needed a little longer. I checked it again at 200 and at 205. At 205 it felt like very cold stick butter, so out it came:
1580050901827.jpeg

WOW, bark and flavor we’re out of this world! It got to rest on the counter for about 30 minutes before being wrapped in foil then towels and into a styrofoam cooler I was given a while back. It hung out there the rest of the day until about 6pm (should have put it on about 2am instead of 10pm). I pulled it from the cooler and started slicing it and knew immediately it was a hit! I had a few taste testers in the kitchen so they got to sample before dinner and everyone was loving it.
1580061978779.jpeg

I didn’t do any bend or pull tests but I can tell you that when it was served it held together perfectly and was just dripping juice everywhere! After that I had maybe a pound of brisket left.

Well, sorry this was so long with so few pictures but it turned out so great I just had to share with y’all!

Thanks everyone, I agree that the extra fat may be what did the trick! I did cook it to a little hotter internal temp than the last couple also though. I dunno, I’m following the advice from someone on here who said “every brisket smoke teaches you something!”

Thanks y’all! I’m sure I’ll do another one soon, I really enjoy doing them!

Also thanks to whomever gave me the ride on the carousel that’s awesome and unexpected!!

I'm new at this and have a couple questions. Does wrapping it in foil and letting it sit for a few hours help keep it moist and retain juices? Why not start cooking at 0400 and then simply eating it when it was done at 1800? Again, I'm simply trying to learn...not being critical.

Reactions: JBPilot
No worries, my understanding of what it does is that letting it set out on the counter for a little while helps it to stop cooking. Then wrapping in foil lets it pull some of the juices back into the brisket. That’s what I’ve learned from the folks on here and what I’ve done and it’s worked well for me so far!

Reactions: Dirty Nails
No worries, my understanding of what it does is that letting it set out on the counter for a little while helps it to stop cooking. Then wrapping in foil lets it pull some of the juices back into the brisket. That’s what I’ve learned from the folks on here and what I’ve done and it’s worked well for me so far!

Awesome - thank you!

Reactions: JBPilot
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky