Things I miss....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mdboatbum

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 22, 2011
Washington, DC
Wasn't sure where to post "off topic" threads, and if this is in the wrong place please delete it.

I was thinking the other day of how the world has changed in the relatively short time I've trod upon it. There are so many little tiny things that were once such a part of our psyche that are now gone. Perhaps it's just me, but it sort of saddens me that there are things that people under 30 will likely never experience.
For what it's worth, here's a short list of the kinds of things I'm talking about, in no particular order. Feel free to add.

The smell of petroleum based charcoal lighter wafting thru the neighborhood on summer evenings. This used to DOMINATE the atmosphere. With the prevalence of gas grills and chimney starters, today we do have better food, but that Pavlovian trigger that it's summer, steaks are on and friends are on their way is being phased out.

The sound of change tinkling into the collection basket in Church. This really had no particular effect on me, but I realized recently that you just don't hear it anymore. It was kind of a happy sound.

Shaking milk. As we get further and further from generations who remember un-homogenized milk, this somewhat silly practice will fade from the collective repertoire.

Tube testers in every drug or hardware store. I was always fascinated by these devices.

The piles of returnable bottles at grocery stores. Also, the ability to, with a little hard work and determination, collect enough returnable bottles to get enough money to buy whatever you wanted. I remember there was a hardware store in a small town in Indiana where we would go to visit family. My sister and I discovered that the Coke machine in the back of the store would dispense a 6.5 ounce bottle for a dime. At the grocery store up the street, you could get a dime for returning the bottle. Maybe it was a nickel, but whatever the amount, the price of the soda and the bottle refund were the same, so there was an unlimited supply of the delicious (and parentally forbidden) nectar for a tiny one time investment.

Static. Time was, this white noise was a regular part of radio listening. With digital tuners, music on demand, CD's and Ipods it occurred to me recently that I haven't heard static in years.

Fuses. These little marvels of safety engineering used to be as necessary as light bulbs for day to day life. I recently traveled back to another small Midwestern town for a funeral. The obligatory reception afterwards was at the home of the family matriarch, a home that has remained largely unchanged for most of her 50+ years of residence there. Two recent changes have been the addition of a window air conditioner and a microwave oven, both in the kitchen and plugged into the same circuit. I'd found a quiet place to hide in the corner of the kitchen, as this wasn't my family and I frankly wanted to stay out of the way. As the crowd grew and the June heat intensified, the new AC unit was switched on. A short time later, having no more room on the stove, someone decided to heat something in the microwave. Seconds later as we all sat in darkness, someone was dispatched to the basement with a box of fuses and a hail of instructions. The once familiar exchange began, with muffled shouts from the basement being relayed to the kitchen by a chain of family members. "Is that it?" "No, still off" "That one?" "Noooo" "Damnit, the batteries in the flashlight went dead, bring me some more!" "Hang on, joe's got a lighter..."
And so on, until the power was restored and the offending parties were admonished for daring to run more than one electrical device at the same time.

That's all for now. I'll just add that I'm about to turn 45, so by modern standards I'm still a pup. I'm just amazed at how much things have changed.

Last edited:
Yup---a lot of differences!

I was reminded of the "static" when I had to listen to a Phillies game while our electric was off (Hurricane Irene).

I had to listen on AM radio, with batteries, like the old transistor radio days in the "1950s".

The static was caused mostly by the Power lines behind my house.

There was plenty of power there---messing up my radio!!!

Bear

Magic Number "9", with 21 games to go.

Wasn't sure where to post "off topic" threads, and if this is in the wrong place please delete it.

I was thinking the other day of how the world has changed in the relatively short time I've trod upon it. There are so many little tiny things that were once such a part of our psyche that are now gone. Perhaps it's just me, but it sort of saddens me that there are things that people under 30 will likely never experience.
For what it's worth, here's a short list of the kinds of things I'm talking about, in no particular order. Feel free to add.

The smell of petroleum based charcoal lighter wafting thru the neighborhood on summer evenings. This used to DOMINATE the atmosphere  Thank Heavens!. With the prevalence of gas grills and chimney starters, today we do have better food, but that Pavlovian trigger that it's summer, steaks are on and friends are on their way is being phased out.You tend to be to busy for friends between the 30s and the 60s then you have friends again because everyone is retired or semiretired and looking for things to do.

The sound of change tinkling into the collection basket in Church. This really had no particular effect on me, but I realized recently that you just don't hear it anymore. It was kind of a happy sound.You obviously do not go to my church
Good start on the list

I remember the Fuller Brush salesman coming by every few weeks and giving mom a free vegetable brush as a reminder that he would be back soon.

Never locking the doors on your home unless you went out of town.

Driving to see the relatives 90 miles away took all weekend.. going thru all the small towns at 20 mph... Having to stop twice for dinner... first for the best turkey and gravy dinners.. second where the best homemade pies were... quite a treat going to visit the relatives... Third and fourth stops.. gasoline and bathrooms on the road.. 2 lane country back roads all in a '40s DeSoto. visit for the night and then the return trip...we got to eat pie for breakfast... turkey for lunch....

Saturday matinee movies with cartoons and news clips of the war....(Darigold milk bottle tops was used for admission) Drive-in movies and sleeping thru them on the back window ledge of the old DeSoto..

The ice man coming to grandma's house.. her cooking on a wood stove.. Twelve of us sitting at her dining table for a holiday feast that seemed to take all day... grandma's food was the best.... old world food... can't get that anymore...

It sure is a lot more complicated now!

That's why we moved to a small town, it's a very laid back atmosphere.

Things get done when they get done.

No worries.

I remember nickle cokes and 2 cent deposit on the bottles. A short draft beer was a nickle. Bowling was 35 cents. Gas was $0.14. 50 cent picture shows. 10 coke caps would get you into the Saturday afternoon cartoons at the movie theater. Banana splits were 29 cents. and hamburger was 5 lbs for a dollar on sale at Kroger's.

Bowling alleys had pinball machines dime a game or 3 games for a quarter. Silver dollars cost 1 dollar.

In 1965 I bought a carton cigarettes in Nam for less than half of the cost of a pack today< I quit smoking at $1/pk>

JC1947

Last edited:
"Soda Pop" was cooled in water coolers, they cost a dime, on a hot day we would rub our faces with the water on the "glass" bottle before we opened it to cool off.

Manual transmissions that had to be "double clutched" to shift gears.

Paper routes.

I'm with Dave, going to the movies "only" on Saturday mornings.

Desotos, Hudsons, Packards, Imperials.

Popcorn roasted in the fireplace (it was always to "smokey" to eat).

Gene

I remember the Cokes out of a machine for a nickle.  Station attendant watching you to be sure you left the bottle.  Return was 2 cents.  Took a couple hours collecting bottles to buy a malt for 25 cents.

Screw in fuse boxes.  Spare fuses on top.  Also pennies up there in case the spares were all used.

Skeleton keys were sold at the hardware store for 15 cents.  Two types would get you into 80% of all the houses in town.  And nothing ever got stolen.

Milk in a glass bottle with a card board lid.  Mom would scoop out as much cream to save in another bottle before shaking the bottle.

Hand crank separators on the farm and cleaning them after every use. In the sink with the red hand water pump.

Flat top range where we burned corn cobs cause there wasn't much wood in that part of the country.

Tube testers where you could get your radio working again.

Dad would send me to the store with $2 to buy him a carton of cigarettes.  And they actually sold them to me. I'm sure dad had called to tell them I would be coming.  LOL

Driving to the next town to buy condoms because the local druggist would tell your folks.

Driving to the state line for a carload of beer cause they legally sold to 18 year olds.

I remember nickle cokes and 2 cent deposit on the bottles. A short draft beer was a nickle. Bowling was 35 cents. Gas was $0.14. 50 cent picture shows. 10 coke caps would get you into the Saturday afternoon cartoons at the movie theater. Banana splits were 29 cents. and hamburger was 5 lbs for a dollar on sale at Kroger's.

Bowling alleys had pinball machines dime a game or 3 games for a quarter. Silver dollars cost 1 dollar.

In 1965 I bought a carton cigarettes in Nam for less than half of the cost of a pack today< I quit smoking at $1/pk>

JC1947
Yup, Our movie theater would let us kids into the saturday matinee for 6 Royal Crown Cola bottle caps.

1969 cigarettes were $1.50 per carton in 'Nam, $2.10 at the PX at Ft Bragg, and $1.80 at a gas station down the road 20 miles from Ft Bragg (never figured out why we soldiers had to pay more at the PX than at the civilian gas station!!!)

My older brother was there (Qui Nhon) in 1965 too, JC.

BTW: Just remembered buying milk in a vending machine for 5¢, and getting the penny taped to the carton for my 1¢ change!!!

Bear

How about kids with a lawn mowing business,(not guys with trucks and trailers)  Cartoons ONLY on Saturday mornings. Sleeping with your doors open in the summer.  Playing cards in your spooks to make more noise.Skate boards and Skates with metal wheels..

T he 1 thing i miss most .Was driving around town looking a all the Lady's laying out getting a tan.The collage is and was 1/4 mile away.Damm tanning beds.
yahoo.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky