ThermoPro TP60 hygrometer and regenerating silica desiccant for AMNPS pellet storage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dr k

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 22, 2013
Peoria, IL
I bought a $10.00 300 sq. ft. silica humidity controller that absorbs about 6-8 oz. of moisture before indicating it needs to be plugged into a 120vac recepticle to regenerate. I got it from Aldi last summer but when it's gone they don't restock. Many people use these for gun safes, 3D print head storage, closets, inside vehicles in the winter from melted snow musty smell and all kinds of other apps. I also wanted a digital wireless remote hygrometer to check my basement, cigar humidor and pellet humidity. I used ThermoPro's 20% SMF discount to order the TP60 yesterday normally $17.99 for under $15 delivered.

Since I'm using both items above for different things I thought I'd get my 2-3 gallon ziplock bag, fill it with air, spread out an AMNPS tray amount of pellets and throw in the remote hygrometer for 12 hours to check the humidity. Then throw in the humidity abosorber and see what it drops the humidity to and how long it takes. People that use silica for 3D print head storage report humidity levels around 30%. If it's relatively fast, people with pellet humidity problems may be able to dry out pellets a day before they smoke. Maybe microwave the pellets a minute then throw the warm pellets in the ziplock bag to humidifiy the air more quickly. We'll see. I have no pellet burning issues with the mailbox mod but I'll test for others that do.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky