Thermometer Question (WSM 18.5)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nascott

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 5, 2014
Western Suburbs of Chicagoland
I know that the dome thermometer isn't the most accurate and I haven't had a chance to go out and get a wireless thermometer yet, but does anyone else use a simple weber digital meat thermometer and stick it through the rubber probe hole on the side? 

It stays horizontal and seems to read accurately... just checking to make sure whether a thermometer meant to measure internal meat temps should be trusted as a general grill temp thermometer, too.

thanks for any feedback.

Scott.. smokin' in Chicagoland.

Should be close enough. I've set them out on a table to check ambient temps before, same theory.

you said the probe is rubber? if so i would be hesitant to use it to monitor the smoker heat because its much greater then internal meat temps...it may melt? or ruin the probe?

My dome thermometer reads 25-30 degrees cooler than the actual temperature in my 18.5 WSM.  I would think a instant read would be more accurate.

I just use a digital thermometer in the meat and one just below the rack the meat is sitting on just to make sure.

As long as your dome thermometer keeps reading 20 degrees cooler consistently, just adjust accordingly as to what temperature you wish to use.

I hope this helps,  John

Last edited:
@dougmays, the probe isn't rubber.. I stuck my temp probe THROUGH the rubber portal on the side of my WSM 18.5... sorry for the confusion

thanks all for the feedback... Those saying the dome is typically about 20 degrees cooler than internal are having an experience right on with what I'm seeing... really consistent too, though a little bigger of a spread in windy conditions.

Snowing in Chicagoland today.... I think I'll fire up the smoker... just so the snow doesn't build up on it!  ;)

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky