Thermometer Preferences

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hi all,
I am wanting to upgrade my thermometer from a single probe to a multiple probe unit. I have narrowed my serch to two companies and would very much like some of your opinions.
Inkbird or Maverick trying to stay under $100 to keep peace if you know what I mean!
Thanks in advance!!
I have used Thermopro tp-8 for years, and been happy. Until I tested Inkbird 6 probe. I found the Inkbird to be more accurate and the seperate probe for smoker temp is exact to my Auber PID temps.
I like the bluetooth ability to see temps on my device without running to the smoker to check.

Reactions: 39Buick
I have an inkbird insta read and 4 probe. Neither has let me down and I like the rechargeable battery.

Chris

I purchased a inbird 2sa cheap 30 bucks from amazon it has two probes and has been really good so far. I needed it basically for the pit temps alarms but i also have a prograde bluetooth probes for my meats. Been using the Inkbird for the last 10 or so cooks and it's been flawless.

So after all of the recommendations here as well as the 50% off code from Miya I went ahead and ordered the 6 probe model today! I appreciate all of the input I received from all of you kind folk!!
And check this out! I returned a Fire tablet cover that I paid $31.85 for. It was in no way going to protect that tablet from my Grandson. So Amazon adds $31.85 to a gift card and placed it on my account. Guess how much the inkbird unit was at checkout? That's right $31.85 with tax and Prime free shipping!!!! Is that Karma??
Can't wait to try it out!!

So after all of the recommendations here as well as the 50% off code from Miya I went ahead and ordered the 6 probe model today! I appreciate all of the input I received from all of you kind folk!!
And check this out! I returned a Fire tablet cover that I paid $31.85 for. It was in no way going to protect that tablet from my Grandson. So Amazon adds $31.85 to a gift card and placed it on my account. Guess how much the inkbird unit was at checkout? That's right $31.85 with tax and Prime free shipping!!!! Is that Karma??
You wont be disappointed! Great buy!

You're gonna be very happy. 1 piece of advice you will definitely appreciate, you have to take the main unit out of the base holder to expose the charging port. It doesn't make that clear in the instructions. Otherwise, I have found it to be very user friendly, and the App installed instantly on my Iphone.

MJB05615 MJB05615 "expose the charging port"
I appreciate the tip! I had read something about this in a thread here while researching these. Havcing never put hands on one, wasn't sure what was being addressed. Will never understand why they chose to hide the port in such a way!

Reactions: MJB05615
The thermoworks units look pretty amazing. Just not in my budget right now. Hoping the New Inkbird will prove as reliable as others have found!
I appreciate all the input fellas!!!

Inkbird Update?
I am liking this setup with the six probes but I am having issues with the timers. I smoked a butt yesterday and set timers 2 or 3 times during the smoke and they just went away! I wasn't using the timing for any particular reason on this cook, more so a learning experience.
Why would the timers just quit? I never received an alarm or notification that the time was expiring, it just disappeared from the screen!
Anyone experience anything like this?

Sounds strange. I haven't used the timer function yet. I've only used Temp alarms with no issues. Next weekend I'll be smoking something and will try the timers and let you know how it goes.
In the meantime you can check their website to see if anyone else has had the same problem.

Inkbird Update?
I am liking this setup with the six probes but I am having issues with the timers. I smoked a butt yesterday and set timers 2 or 3 times during the smoke and they just went away! I wasn't using the timing for any particular reason on this cook, more so a learning experience.
Why would the timers just quit? I never received an alarm or notification that the time was expiring, it just disappeared from the screen!

Now, that is just plain weird. I have never had any timer problems with my IRF-4S.

Inkbird Update?
Hi friend,please don't worry.Guess there's something wrong with the APP. Could you please reinstall the APP to give it a try?Any confusion please feel free to send me a msg. Miya

Inkbird Update?
I recently got the same unit and overall I like it. I think the issue you have with the timers quitting might be lost bluetooth connection. I've used mine now several times and have lost bluetooth connection a few times on each cook. It's a good unit but I'm hearing and reading of issues staying connected and so far haven't seen a resolution.

lost bluetooth connection
I believe you may be right! It kinda sucks because you also loose your cooking graph as well. Which is another hitch with this thing. I think the app needs a bunch of revisions and upgrades!

Reactions: Inkbirdbbq
I believe you may be right! It kinda sucks because you also loose your cooking graph as well. Which is another hitch with this thing. I think the app needs a bunch of revisions and upgrades!
Yep, the app is less than desirable. I think the inkbird is a good unit but the app needs some work. With that said, I can just work around that as when the connection is lost it seems to re-connect without doing anything. I learned right away to just use the timer on my phone to know exactly how long the cook is vs the app because like you said, when you lose connection you lose the timer too. Oh, well, nothing in life is perfect, right. It'll serve my purposes for now even with some flaws on the app.

Yep, the app is less than desirable. I think the inkbird is a good unit but the app needs some work. With that said, I can just work around that as when the connection is lost it seems to re-connect without doing anything. I learned right away to just use the timer on my phone to know exactly how long the cook is vs the app because like you said, when you lose connection you lose the timer too. Oh, well, nothing in life is perfect, right. It'll serve my purposes for now even with some flaws on the app.
Agreed, I do like the unit and can live with the app for now. I did some reading about the thermoworks signals and after reading the reviews on the app store this little gem is it!

I agree as well. This works so well, and is so accurate every time I test it, I can work around the occasional lost signal. It stays connected about 97% around my house. And it reconnects automatically. Overall still an excellent product, and I'm enjoying very much. Stay safe.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky