thermometer in my UDS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flyweed

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
S.W. Wisconsin
guys just a couple quick questions.

1.  Where do I install the thermometer in my UDS?  at grate level....I know..but just above the grate, or just below the grate??

2.  after I got my fire basket built and set in my uds, I installed my cooking rack, and the top of the cooking rack is 22.5" from the grate in the fire basket....should I lower the fire basket so I have 24" between them..or is this "close enough"  will it make a big difference?

Thanks for any help

Dan

2.  after I got my fire basket built and set in my uds, I installed my cooking rack, and the top of the cooking rack is 22.5" from the grate in the fire basket....should I lower the fire basket so I have 24" between them..or is this "close enough"  will it make a big difference?
Dan, how high is the grate of your fire basket from the bottom of the barrel?  I started out at 2" and raised mine to 3" off the bottom.  Everything I've seen calls for 24" between the fire basket grate and the first cooking grate.  After adjusting my fire basket to 3" my food grate ended up at 23 1/4".  My first 2 smokes I noticed the butt stuck to the grate.  I'm going to leave that set of bolts in place and add another set to raise my food grate to about 25".  I may even go to 26".  I'm thinking at 23 1/4" it was to hot and caused the butts to burn and stick on the bottom.  Having said all that, I'm thinking being at 22 1/2" is going to be a little to close to the fire.  Figure when you add approximately 6" of coals, your going to be pretty close to the fire.

Last edited:
I have 2 therms on my drum. One on the wall half way up and one on the lid in the middle. Both have  a short probe maybe 1" . I use these for drum temp observation only. I have a couple of other wireless therms to monitor the prize itself, between all of them it works out perty good.
icon_cool.gif

i got some at walmart by the grill tools but they dont seem to carry them all year long. 5$ each

Last edited:
Dean....my coal grate is 3.5" off the bottom of the barrel..I have 1 inch standoffs that hold the ash tray..and then welded to the ash tray I have 4 bolts...they hold up the firebasket..and there is 2.5 inches between the top of the ash tray and coal grate....I can easily grind the ash tray standoffs down to hit closer to 24 inches if I Need to.

Dan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky