• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thermo and question

jangles

Joined Nov 13, 2013
I have two questions for you smokers. 1 Where do I put the probe for my bbq temp , I have a Maverick Redi check  and an analog MES .

2 Thanksgiving it was chilly here but not cold and my Turkey was done in half the time it should have taken and was dry . Do they smoke or cook faster in cold temp or did I have my bbq temp probe in the wrong spot ? It was in the upper left hand rear corner of my smoker. I think that's probably the culprit as it's the coldest part of the smoker and the last place to reach temp ???

I am going to give another Turkey a shot on Christmas day and would appreciate any and all input! It's a 16 pounder if that helps.

Thx in advance for any replies.

demosthenes9

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 2, 2013

I have two questions for you smokers. 1 Where do I put the probe for my bbq temp , I have a Maverick Redi check  and an analog MES .

2 Thanksgiving it was chilly here but not cold and my Turkey was done in half the time it should have taken and was dry . Do they smoke or cook faster in cold temp or did I have my bbq temp probe in the wrong spot ? It was in the upper left hand rear corner of my smoker. I think that's probably the culprit as it's the coldest part of the smoker and the last place to reach temp ???

I am going to give another Turkey a shot on Christmas day and would appreciate any and all input! It's a 16 pounder if that helps.

Thx in advance for any replies.
I put my chamber probe on the grate next to whatever is cooking as the temp in that specific area is what I'm concerned with.   I have a couple of dual probe Mavericks, so I'll often read the chamber temps in a couple of places to make sure that one side isn't hotter than the other, or to see if the temps are different from one shelf to another.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.