The X-Fire Grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well, we did the test etch to see the pattern and I think it is going to turn out pretty cool. Just need to run through the grits 220, 320, 400, 600, and 800 to finished the blade to fix a few sand lines I missed the first time and to open up the pattern just a bit more.....
0E615FA3-3729-47A5-921E-2AA3FBAB0423.jpeg
584405FD-969C-46F5-8CF9-D4CF879C72DC.jpeg

the real surprise here is my steel vendor labeled the 15n20 and 1084 swapped.......errr the edge was intended to be the dark etch and the spine down bright.....but in the end the forge welds turned out good and I think it will look cool in the end!

Ok after working with my steel vender and them and me doing some testing I discovered my etchant I used for the test was contaminated so we were getting some weird results. So here is what it was/is intended to be...:emoji_ok_hand:. The boy and me just need to finish the handle. We are hoping the black streaks in the walnut will enhance the blade lines...:emoji_fingers_crossed:
96B409C0-0744-41C1-8DCC-14B7E3C000CD.jpeg
192A2166-6938-4767-9E62-393D3D379FF9.jpeg

Ok it’s finally done!!!
5B0379E2-926C-4F62-B31B-17384039982F.jpeg
47C342E0-978F-4E58-B12E-D538480EF662.jpeg

overall pretty happy campers!

after the move I promise the boy and me will finish the X-Fire and get this thread back on track!

N NewBuilder thanks for the like! I'm actually starting to plan out finishing the build for this late spring/summer 2021. I'm really missing cooking on it at the moment!

civilsmoker civilsmoker from the other side of the globe, I lift my glass of Grenache—Carrignan—Syrah to you and bid you "Santé". I continue to be very impressed by all your work, grills and knives alike. I'm still in the renovation stages of the house we just bought but once that project comes to and end, next will come the barbecue building process, and I surely will have to come back spend more time around here then.

civilsmoker civilsmoker from the other side of the globe, I lift my glass of Grenache—Carrignan—Syrah to you and bid you "Santé". I continue to be very impressed by all your work, grills and knives alike. I'm still in the renovation stages of the house we just bought but once that project comes to and end, next will come the barbecue building process, and I surely will have to come back spend more time around here then.
Thanks Flip it! Its a small world for sure as a recently purchased house remodel is what is delaying the X-Fire build and more knives (I feel your pain!).....I also have a few more BBQ builds I want to do. Some for sale and some for me :emoji_blush:

Good luck on your renovation!

This thing looks incredible! And coincidentally it looks like the inspiration for my next build. Well, maybe my next to next build, this one has me pondering the possibilities and questioning my abilities. I'm curious how the firebrick has held up after what I'm guessing is many cooks already.

This thing looks incredible! And coincidentally it looks like the inspiration for my next build. Well, maybe my next to next build, this one has me pondering the possibilities and questioning my abilities. I'm curious how the firebrick has held up after what I'm guessing is many cooks already.

HS.......they have held up awesomely and even taken up a nice seasoning.....
2D810FE2-C918-4F91-AAD3-940F461307F9.jpeg

Even the bottom were to coals live is doing just fine........this is the same stuff they use in pizza ovens so it’s good stuff. The only 2 that have cracked are the upper right door and that is because I hit the door edge with a 3lb hammer to tweak the hinges......
2681E9EC-316F-4942-9C5F-91E1C88A1957.jpeg

if you go for a build spend some time to draw it out and plan plan plan. Remember construction tolerances and such. I built the copper pot on the fly but the x-fire was full 3D plans.......

Last edited:
Great build there!
Thanks Plinsc! With any luck it will be back in service late this fall when the outdoor kitchen space gets built. I've been missing it for sure!

It's been too long civilsmoker civilsmoker . You need to fire that beast up again.
I KNOW, I KNow, I Know, i know…….lol

The sketch up model for the Smokehouse Way BBQ Cave are almost done, with “construction planned for the spring!
Cooking with fire and some cool pics! :emoji_blush:

Ryan
Oh trust me patience is a virtue….or at least that’s what I’ve been told! I have been designing a few changes to the interior for the smoking zones that I’m really excited about though….

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Holy smokes Batman, you better go down to the bat cave because there is some strange activity happening……….

So seenred seenred build for JLeonard JLeonard and all the talk of open fire vertical smoking/grilling finally got to me……jealously is a powerful motivator…… so it’s time to finish the X-Fire all the way and get it prepped for its cook shack that will be this spring summer build…….

The build left off many years ago with all the handle stock trimmed up ready to weld…….

The door, air gate and rocker bar all welded up!
IMG_7930.jpeg

The handle for the air vents….
IMG_7931.jpeg

The door handle and locking system
IMG_7932.jpeg

The locking bar got a little angle piece and welded up all around….it has a small water hole on the bottom side just incase water gets in through the bolt hole
IMG_7935.jpeg

The wife got me this little welding table a few weeks ago….man oh man why did it take me so long to get one!!!! It has room for both my steel and stainless setup wire welders…. The handles….
IMG_7938.jpeg

The air vents….love these hold down clamps!
IMG_7940.jpeg

Bingo…..
IMG_7939.jpeg

Just need to make the handle notches and then the door locking handles will be done!
IMG_7941.jpeg

The handles look a little heavy but they will be very functional. I was/am considering adding a magnet bar on the back side of the doors but not sure about the longevity as these handles will never wear out…..I may order some and put some thought to it while I finish welding up the seams…..

Lookin' Good! Glad your back at this build - gonna be a sweet cooker - can't wait to see it in use!

Red
Thanks Red! I’ve been missing using it for sure so it will be nice to have it properly finished and in a new home! I’m doing a sketch up model for the cool shack now…..we are still in soggy winter mode so have a little bit yet to get things dialed in :-)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky