The X-Fire Grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Bingo it’s FINALLY done!!!!!
B27D2E10-CC2A-4AB7-B52B-99466A83188A.jpeg

We sealed the floor today so it is ready for service!

The boy and me started to party but the “Boss” reminded us both it wasn’t done till all the “€£|>s&”....stuff was out of the garage and properly moved into it’s new home... :-(

Soooo we are in the final inning on the honey do list......then back to the build!

Very nice build thread on that grill, sure looks like it is fun to cook on.

Thanks Waterin it has been a very rewarding build! We are ecstatic to finish it out to try the other modes of cooking on it. Especially, now that we have a “taste” of how it cooks. It will hit 400-450 degree no problem so I’m pretty sure we will be able to reach consistent 500-550 to do pizza!

I really like having the doors on it cause they helps regulate the “roasting” temps. I’m also surprised at how efficient it is and how “clean” the smoke flavor is.

Thanks Waterin it has been a very rewarding build! We are ecstatic to finish it out to try the other modes of cooking on it. Especially, now that we have a “taste” of how it cooks. It will hit 400-450 degree no problem so I’m pretty sure we will be able to reach consistent 500-550 to do pizza!

I really like having the doors on it cause they helps regulate the “roasting” temps. I’m also surprised at how efficient it is and how “clean” the smoke flavor is.

That is awesome, glad all worked out on your build.

Hey, question for ya... not sure what part of ID you are from, I am in SE ID. I have access to a bit of apple wood, but you mention oak splits... by chance where do ya get them? Just curious.

I’m on the other side of ID (SW). a couple years ago, I found a guy on Craig’s list he had apple too. But a while back the local Wally mart brought in a pallet of oak logs (western?). They had them ridiculously cheap at $5 per 1.5 CF. So I pretty much took the pallet home with me and they have lasted a while...but I’m getting low and will have to find another source :-(

I’m on the other side of ID (SW). a couple years ago, I found a guy on Craig’s list he had apple too. But a while back the local Wally mart brought in a pallet of oak logs (western?). They had them ridiculously cheap at $5 per 1.5 CF. So I pretty much took the pallet home with me and they have lasted a while...but I’m getting low and will have to find another source :-(

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it!

Civil,
Just read this whole thread on your build and pretty awsome job. I've been wanting to build a santa Maria for myself. Hope you don't mind if I steal some of your ideas/build and thinking of modifying a little bit. Planning on it being this winters project.

Civil,
Just read this whole thread on your build and pretty awsome job. I've been wanting to build a santa Maria for myself. Hope you don't mind if I steal some of your ideas/build and thinking of modifying a little bit. Planning on it being this winters project.

It’s only stealing if it’s not shared freely on social media......

Just be sure to give the boy the credit for his design. Good luck and please share pics.

Just saying but if you do build one it will change your whole cooking experience!!! That said, if I thought we could sell 8 to 10 of them a year I would probably be self employed.........however we may still make some for sale....

Well its been a while since I've posted any progress on the X-Fire! That's the problem when you can cook on it......taking it out of service to work on it is not easy.

However.......the boy and I have been working on some accessories for the X-Fire! The boy is working on his senior project where a family member can't mentor him like the civil learning project like the X-Fire....so he decided he wanted to learn how to make a knife......so Dad HAD to tag along......Come to find out the blade smith that is mentoring him was on Forged in Fire (He made the second round)! As a metal fabricator hobbyist, I can say it is absolutely fascinating learning blade smithing!!!!!

So here is my knife..........It just finished heat treatment and tempering and is ready for finish grinding.....My knife will be finished with a flat grind, satin polish, and a green canvas Micarta handle with brass pins. I have done all the work including the knife edge grind.
x-fire-knife.jpg

Here is the Boy's, it has been finished ground and satin polished. The Boy free-hand sketch his design and it will be finished with a African Blackwood handle and silver pins. He has done everything but the detail hollow grind on the blade.
x-fire-knife2 (2).jpg

It is going to be a very nice knife!......What can I say, I'm a proud Dad!!

The Boy and I are also in the progress of making a forge to build knifes at home and we are going to build a BBQ knife set to go with the X-Fire....

Just a few more cool pics of the Boys knife:
The Quench: ....
thequench.png

good old fashioned peanut oil! Oh and you hold it in the oil for a whole minute and don't pull it out to flame up like the show......LOL TV is TV!

The polishing
thepolish.png

FYI, Watching Forged in Fire I always wondered why none of them used a glove to grind......well turns out if you grind too hard and cause heat you ruin your heat treat and knife....ie so no glove so you can feel the heat....so the lesson is you grind very carefully!

Very nice and professional looking great job.

Warren

Thanks Warren! I was actually a lot of fun. A BBQ build takes such a long time it's hard to see the reward in front of you...just look at the X-Fire build it was suppose to be be a fast build...making a knife goes quick and you get to see the results quick....

PS NOT sure what I'm going to do to justify doing some of this stuff when the boy goes to college....I may need ideas!

Nice knives.
Serial # XFG :emoji_nerd:

Many thanks!.......

oh crap SN.......kinda late! Since mine is a “kitchen” knife we left it really really hard so if I tried to stamp a number it would shatter..... we softened the boys knife more.

So the number two will have to have the SN, the first is just “branded”.....but I can’t repeat what my wife called the stamp......lol!

Absolutely amazing! Thanks for linking me here Civil! I came for the knife but that X-Fire Grill is a work of art! well done! any follow up to either?

Absolutely amazing! Thanks for linking me here Civil! I came for the knife but that X-Fire Grill is a work of art! well done! any follow up to either?

Thanks! :emoji_blush: The X-Fire has been and continuing to be a fun build. We are trying to clear some time this weekend to do a little more work on it. We really want to get it done DONE, so it doesn't hang over us.......It is really close though....probably only about 40 or so hours left....The final punch list items seem to always take longer cause they are the most visible and you can't rush them....

Civil, apparently you have been hiding the xfire build from me....great job.

Need an update!

As far as the knives go my dad has been making his own for years and loves it! :emoji_thumbsup:

Oh how could I hide it.....It is pretty dang noticeable! LOL.....We are going to start working on it again and we will be sure to post the progress! Especially since I want to try the 3/8 stainless rod grates for steaks. I also want to try the smoking plates and we still need to do pizza!

The whole making knifes is really cool. The boy wants to make a fully hand forged one now, hence the propane forge....I want to make a set of 4 in Stainless with a knife block, for the X-Fire, hence the kiln oven. A ramp & soak PID controller & SSR can be put together for about $200 ish, so then its just an insulating brick or coated blanked chamber.....Pretty simple compared to the X-Fire......

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky