The X-Fire Grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ok finally did a little work on the x-fire today!!!

Got att the handles cleaned up and the 1/2 hole drilled through the 3/8” bar sections....... the drill press motor was being a turd!! So spent more time getting it to work than working errrrr! But got them drilled!
FB16B690-2E90-4789-A686-900806A964F6.jpeg

We also changed out two bricks in the door cause I got a little to “happy” with a 3lb when We were welding the door frame and shattered them....note to self don’t use a bigger hammer!!
43DD2F6E-5155-46AF-8B6B-CF91CECC1BF3.jpeg

At the end of the session we lined up the civil”smoker”family to watch the sunset...lol
3CB2F966-5DEC-4982-A0FA-8EC4BA28B4CD.jpeg

What a collection... :emoji_thumbsup:

Thanks winterrider, It’s one happy family for sure....the wife calls it an obsession.....

That said, I’m also having a hard time coming up with the reason for the other 2...no....3 builds I have planned ....lol..

We have 2 more air tanks and 50 sqft of ceramic blanket that needs to be used....also have plans for a x-fire mini.....for camping......it will be a one of a kind!

Mini x-fire... Portable at only 400 pounds :emoji_laughing:

Great family shot civil. Looking forward to more. I have dreams of a double wall insulated reverse flow smoker right now.

Mini x-fire... Portable at only 400 pounds :emoji_laughing:

Great family shot civil. Looking forward to more. I have dreams of a double wall insulated reverse flow smoker right now.

Lol....I can just see it now....pulling a mini skid steer around just to unload the mini x-fire from the truck......I’m shooting for about 70lbs....it will be brick free...

There was another engineer that built a full double walled (10 gauge) RF with a vertical cabinet. It was a awesome build!

My next RF build, will be just the right size so I can put a full size service pan in it or two 1/2 size side by side. The vertical camber will fit 1/2 size, I want to be able to catch juices and make smoky stock to amp up gravy and stocks!

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
Got the brick retaining strap back on.
1FB8D42B-F498-47DA-A897-362E18B42115.jpeg

Ok got the handles welded on and the locking tabs and was just cruising along and bam out I’ve wire.....holy smokes the x-fire has consumed a full 8 lb roll already :emoji_astonished:
8BC9A88B-F7A8-40F5-AD6E-11DA34BC64A5.jpeg

We are going to try to just spend a couple of hours every other week or so to finish it off so we can paint it in spring.....it is really close!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: calicat
Thanks for the “love” calicat! The X-Fire gives you a warm hug! Lol

very impressive design as well as the build!

Thanks jimmy! My son and I really want to finish it so it’s done done but it’s been too addicting using it.....and it’s been really cold....having it only be 30 degrees makes it harder for welding and such........

buck up brother, we spend about 1/3 of our year under 30 degrees and we can still make metal stick to itself. :emoji_wink:

pretty cool though that your son is so interested in working with you. that is something i think i could have done better with my son.

buck up brother, we spend about 1/3 of our year under 30 degrees and we can still make metal stick to itself. :emoji_wink:

pretty cool though that your son is so interested in working with you. that is something i think i could have done better with my son.

....Oh I hear you the problem isnt getting the metal to stick its me shaking and the weld dances in to a grind fest.....LOL I've done my time in AK and ND so I feel for ya!

I consider myself lucky to have a boy that enjoys working with me for sure! I think it is because we bbq together!

Last edited:
Reactions: jimmyinsd
Flip it Flip it thanks for the like!
For sure! That grill is incredible. This thread was the reason I originally found this website, when it popped up as a result for a search on V-grates. And I'm glad I found this site! I think it's pretty impressive what your son and you have designed and built.

I was wondering, did you ever get to do a side by side comparison on V-grate vs other types of grates? I understand that the V shape catches the melting fat, avoiding flare-ups, but as far as the searing itself, what is the difference? Does the meat take longer to sear on V-grates?

Reactions: civilsmoker
For sure! That grill is incredible. This thread was the reason I originally found this website, when it popped up as a result for a search on V-grates. And I'm glad I found this site! I think it's pretty impressive what your son and you have designed and built.

I was wondering, did you ever get to do a side by side comparison on V-grate vs other types of grates? I understand that the V shape catches the melting fat, avoiding flare-ups, but as far as the searing itself, what is the difference? Does the meat take longer to sear on V-grates?

Wow & thanks! I had no idea it got enough hits to make the search engines.....glad you found the site though, it’s an awesome place for learning! The X-Fire wouldn’t exist had I not found the site many years ago.

The SS rod grate is still in the prep stage (got it all the on the floor in the garage) but was going to get to them this summer I hope. For steak they will sear better for sure over the v-grates. And what I mean about better is more and uniform. The v-grates insulate from the intense flame heat so it keeps potential burning down. So they soften the heat. I have put steaks right down in the flame so the flame goes 4 to 6 inches past and the v-grates soften the heat so it sears nicely without burning. However, I’ve found that I need to move the steaks around more to get all over sear. You would be amazed at how much grease they capture though. When doing a bunch of beef ribs it will capture almost 2 cups worth.

For steak I’m sure I will prefer the round because I like the flame sear taste when done with restraint. They will also aid in presentation of sear lines better as well, but this is just vanity on my part.....lol

I will admit my son and me have been distracted working on a couple of knives including our first hand forged San Mai Damascus hunter....high hopes for this one!! It’s in a vinegar bath to remove the forge scale, then we will grind the bevels and see the pattern ....it will get a stabilized clario walnut handle
image.jpg

Reactions: Flip it
Thanks so much for your answer! And wow, I can't believe you're also making your own knives.
For steak they will sear better for sure over the v-grates.
Ok so just to make 100% sure you meant the rod grates will sear the steaks better than the v-grates? Or that the steaks will sear better when cooked over v-grates?

If you think you'll prefer the rod grates for steaks, what food would you prefer to cook over the V-grates?

I'm shopping for a grill to install in my backyard and want to make sure I get the right grates for it! :D

Thanks a lot for your feedback. Much appreciated.

Thanks so much for your answer! And wow, I can't believe you're also making your own knives.

Ok so just to make 100% sure you meant the rod grates will sear the steaks better than the v-grates? Or that the steaks will sear better when cooked over v-grates?

If you think you'll prefer the rod grates for steaks, what food would you prefer to cook over the V-grates?

I'm shopping for a grill to install in my backyard and want to make sure I get the right grates for it! :D

Thanks a lot for your feedback. Much appreciated.

For steak the round rod will allow for a better sear from flames and coals because there is more surface area open to the fire and coals. The trade off is you will get more flame up for sure. This will also add a more smoky flavor from the flare ups. Some people like this some people don’t. Also for high fat protein you could get uncontrollable flame up and get bitter smoke.

The v-grates work very good at controlling flame up. They rate right up there with grill grates for that. They also tame the open flame and help reduce the potential for burning like an open flame can cause. So for higher fat content protein or things that could use a tempered heat work well on them. But don’t get me wrong the v’s still do a nice sear.

As far as which is better that is really a personal choice..... most grill shops sell the v’s as an upgrade, they are way more expensive to source and make.

All that said, I think the v’s are more forgiving to cook on than round especially on a open fire so if I could have only one V’s would be my choice cause you can still get a great sear and you get a cleaner fire/smoke flavor on the protein. However, my choice was/is to have both!!!

Got the hunter bevels almost done (I just need to etch it to see how the pattern came out) and here is another camp/skinner I’m working on. It will get a mesquite handle.
7E93F576-EEA7-49B2-874B-AFAFED90588B.jpeg

Reactions: Flip it
Great! Thank you so much for your detailed answer. After reading it I've come to terms with the fact that I most likely will try to find a solution where I can have both types of grill grates.

Wow, beautiful knives :emoji_astonished:, keep up the good work!!

Last edited:
Reactions: civilsmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky