• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

The ultimate Dyna-Glow wide body modification

grilldad

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 30, 2013
After years of cooking in a homemade trash can smoker I decided to upgrade a little. I settled on a Dyna-Glow wide body vertical offset charcoal smoker. I'm not a fan of chasing Temps or continuously feeding the firebox so I ordered a banjo burner on Amazon with a 20lb regulator and some fire bricks. I plan on mounting the firebrick better in the future. The first run on low holds about 160. On medium it'll easily hit 350. Rain and cold weather are not a concern anymore. For smoke i use pellet trays. Note i drilled a large hole under the burner to prevent gas from pooling if the flame goes out! Stay tuned for more mods.

Attachments

bill1

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 25, 2015
So your plan is to sometimes use charcoal in the side firebox and then other times to use this burner with pellets or chips in the main cabinet?
I'm thinking that being able to occasionally move the banjo burner over to the firebox could make igniting the charcoal or logs in the firebox a lot easier.

grilldad

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 30, 2013
So your plan is to sometimes use charcoal in the side firebox and then other times to use this burner with pellets or chips in the main cabinet?
I'm thinking that being able to occasionally move the banjo burner over to the firebox could make igniting the charcoal or logs in the firebox a lot easier.
I could still use charcoal but not with the ash pan. My plan is to run propane most of the time. I'll use an electric hot plate in the main chamber for fish or sausage. To hit 120

grilldad

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 30, 2013
This is the burner at 275 in the rain at 48 degrees outside temp. She has lot's of power for when I really load this thing up!
20210105_191821.jpg

grilldad

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 30, 2013
I did some more mods today. I mounted my firebrick how I wanted and opened up the hole for the stack. This thing works great but keeping the pellet trys smoking is a work in progress. I'm thinking the stack is still too small. The pellets smoke like crazy when the burner is off but die out soon after is on. This sucks because if I modify the stack the cover won't fit. Maybe my wife can fix that.
20210114_133956.jpg

Attachments

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.