The Turbo Maple blend

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokxstr

Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
Missouri
hey ya got a minute

Im working a brine up for a first time cure,  A couple recipes one maple and another is a honey base.

Starting with 5200 g for each batch of them two deboned and slabed in half for BBB and 3 super trimed loin pieces as the Canadian work up.  Its just now started in the chiller, I have a few questions im curious about can someone post up.

I had to change up on containers for room anyhow,  is it alright to use a stainless pot for one of my brines.  Two fives are a bit much in the main fridge so thinking a bit I wanted to avoid complaints, while

using the opportunity to establish a need. ( only in my mind will this work )

Another I hate to bring up but here goes,  weighing the brine worked up does not equal the dry weight ingredients. Can someone riddle me any possible answer that i can admit to.

Moving on anyway i used the 1 gal of Pops brine mixture guide for reference with 1 level Tbs of cure #1 at 13.5g my measure and some turbonado sugar and kosher salt, with that id liked to say thanks to him for it and the well used and support from the experience.

While looking around the forum last night I followed up on the older calculator from diggerdog "Martin" and the newer spreadsheet articles with the calculator this morning. How super cool, but to know why im not a numbers person is my eyes feel like a raccoon looks.  Anyway I really enjoy the work put into it and know why everyone else thanks ya for it, thanks.

I decided a need for a 5th quart to easily and fully cover the meat and this will be the blend opportunity for added cure, salt and sugar I wanted.  Looking through the forum articles late last night I seen the mention to consider in a way I wasn't the measurement of meat and water both for the cure amount needed. So i weighed a 101051 close total and came to an amount of 19.5 total cure #1 for a 120PPm  and so added 6 g to my extra quart of blend, makes me feel real Canadian with the blending an all.

I don't think its picture view avail time yet but with a bit more projects i sure will, thanks everyone.

and super thanks for the mods work they do, as i enjoy just looking around at whats cookin up.

Good Day

I know you shouldn't use most metals with cure but I'm really not sure about SS. I picked up some food grade plastic frosting buckets from Sam's Club for free. I don't have a clue about the brine weight issue. With Pop's brine you do not need to weigh the brine and the meat. Mix up a gallon and if the meat fits loosely that is all you need to do. Fill a ziplock bag with water and put on top for a weight to keep things submerged. If you need more brine just make a 1/2 or 1/4 batch.

I don't have the exact weight of a Tbs of cure #1 but if it is 13.5g........ 3.3g would be enough to continue the brine at its original strength for 1 quart. You are still within the parameters that Pop wrote in his thread so you will be safe with what you have.

You should have some nice BBB and CB!

Thanks Im hoping for a great feed in a couple weeks or so, I have followed several of your post with lots of interest. I know there are many reciepes on here and im glad I am here following as many as I can, its just that the see and no eat diet ain't working for me, so im trying to get busy with a full bucket waiting for the smoke. If i understand correctly that the main stay time for brine curing is 1/4" thicknes per day in the 38 degree range and the loins I have in are trimmed pieces and about 2.5"-3.5"  so minimum looks to be 6 days there and thickness is about 2.5 on the pork butt slabbed in half.  Im gonna pickup a few smaller food grade buckets today for different projects in this and the future.

Welcome any tips anyone, I understand theres a stockpile full in this forum but always enjoy a new take.

Thanks and good day

Attached is Pop's original link for the brine. He has given some good pointers as to how long for each cut of meat and guidelines for using his brine. If you find that your first batch is a little sweet or a little salty for your taste you can change it a little for the next time. Once you have it the way you like it it will always turn out perfect. If you reduce the sugar level-----reduce the salt as well or the saltiness will increase. The salt and sugar mask each other.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/110799/pops6927s-wet-curing-brine

I have asked and got advice from some of the experts on the site that stainless steel is ok for brining. I have used it a couple of times with no problems.

Disco

Thanks Disco, that's makes me feel much better and appreciate your help. I did stop in the local bakery and got a few shorter buckets. I suppose I can start a midway batch to keep a steady go of products. But just to say extra thanks. I picked up the other day real Canadian Maple syrup, Product of and certified amber dark. Mighty tasty and I believe its gonna make a big smile when I cook up some of the goods in the brine, that maple recipe has about 410g in the blend plus the turbo sugar. Its much quicker to buy it though, but I have had the pleasure of cooking down some local syrup many years ago and its a good process to have fun with.

Thanks Again

Thanks Disco, that's makes me feel much better and appreciate your help. I did stop in the local bakery and got a few shorter buckets. I suppose I can start a midway batch to keep a steady go of products. But just to say extra thanks. I picked up the other day real Canadian Maple syrup, Product of and certified amber dark. Mighty tasty and I believe its gonna make a big smile when I cook up some of the goods in the brine, that maple recipe has about 410g in the blend plus the turbo sugar. Its much quicker to buy it though, but I have had the pleasure of cooking down some local syrup many years ago and its a good process to have fun with.

Thanks Again
Har, don't thank me. I just used the great knowledge of those on the forum and passed it on. I am anxious to see how your smoke turns out!

Disco

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky