the perfect prime rib

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cmacv

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
My Computer
was going to do a pulled pork this weekend for the first time but me and some little leprechaun had a little to much to drink so im just licking my wounds this weekend but found this website for the perfect primerib i was thinking about doing for easter, here is the link

http://members.tripod.com/~BayGourmet/primerib.html

if anyone has done primerib please share any advice. i would hate to destroy a 60-70 piece of meat

cmacv-I'm moving this topic down to the "Beef" thread.

We've done a few rib eye roasts... The last one I did was a little 3 bone roast, but I do the same for an entire roast...

I've done these in the offset as well as in the WSM. The 3 bone roast, I did in the WSM with no water pan over charcoal and mesquite chunks... Take the roast out of fridge and let come to room temp. Rub with olive oil then garli, kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper (course grind)

Got the cooker up to 300° and put the roast on bone side down. Let 'er cook until the internal was about 128°. Let rest for about 20 mins under a foil tent... If you don't like rare beef, take the internal up a bit prior to removing from the heat source.

Remove the rib bones (for a later snack), slice and serve with your favorite horseradish sauce and au jus...

Good Eats! Good Luck!

James.

Dscn1233.jpg

My method for prime rib is just a little different than James' but not too much. Prime rib is just awesome and unless you overcook it, there just isn't much you can do to screw it up.

I rub the roast down with BV (a thick liquid beef base) then add what we like on steaks, garlic powder, Accent, and lots of coarse black pepper.

I put my roast on cold from the fridge to maximize the amount of time the meat can be exposed to smoke before getting done.

When the roast hits 120 I pull it from the smoker and take it to the grill and sear each side of the roast moving it around quite abit until it reaches upper 120's to 130.

I let it set for 20 mins or so loosely tented before slicing. Au jus and horseradish a must.

Our local grocery store runs sales on whole slabs of kc strip steaks more often that they do ribs. I've used this identical technique on the strip roasts and they are awesome as well.

Scott,

What kind of wood tastes best with Prime Rib?

Thank you,

Brian

What wood to use is really a matter of personal taste but my personal preference for prime rib is the same as I use for brisket. I burn 2 sticks of cherry then 1 stick of hickory.

Use what you like on beef and you can't go wrong.

My wife don't care much for Rib Roasts, smoked or otherwise 'cuz "it's to bloody!". :roll: When I have the opportunity to do one, I cut the small end off and smoke it closer to the fire while the big end is closer to the exhaust side of the smoker. A couple of times a year I'll stock up on the Kansas City strip roasts and freeze, some I'll smoke as a roast others I'll cut into steaks 1 1/2 thick and grill!

Man those prime ribs look good, my wife loves prime rib. I guess I'll have to go to the butcher and get a nice rib roast and suprise her this weekend. I hope I don't screw it up, if I do- she will put me in the dog house...lol

JamesB

Very,Very nice job on the prime rib....That's precisely what I'm talkin bout!

ranger72 8)

OTBS # 14

bigdaddyviking67

HOOAAHH back at you!

Thanks for the Warrior's Greeting!

Rangers Lead The Way!

OTBS # 14

ranger72 :twisted:

My wife won't eat rare meat either... That is one of the reasons I like cooking whole roasts at higher temps... The end cuts get more medium while the center cuts stay nice and rare... I just can't bring myself to cook a rib roast much past med. rare.

James.

I did a 7-rib 12lb prime rib for a friendâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s engagement party yesterday. I smoked with oak and a little cherry and maple for 4½ hours at 225deg. The roast was at 145deg and perfect. :P

The only problem was to many people, not enough roast, I was glad I did the carving so I could nibble. :? I put some extra on my wifeâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s plate so I could have some, she eat it. :(

Next time Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll do two and leave one at home or at least trim some off for myself.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky