The New "BBQ" Restaurant

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kc5tpy

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 12, 2013
Newark on Trent, United Kingdom.
As promised I tried the new "BBQ" restaurant in Lincoln that seems to be the hit of the town ( from hear say ).  We were a walk in and were offered a table which was reserved 1 hour later.  This place seems popular.  When I sat down and looked at the menu, EVERY INSTINCT told me to walk out.  For starters you smell no smoke even in the building.  Their claim to fame seems to be ribs and maybe pulled pork.  No brisket; not even bbq chicken on offer.  I asked about a steak and after checking with the kitchen the waitress told me I could have a rump steak.  Now IMHO rump steak is only good for chicken frying.  I know it is popular here; I just don't know why.  Grilled cardboard would be as good.  The wife ordered 1/2 rack of ribs.  I told her I was going to get a grilled steak and she was going to get steamed ribs with cheap bbq sauce on them.  They have on their menu "Polish Keilbasa ( Hot Links ) our own recipe"  Well ya gotta give that a try right?  WRONG!!  What I got was a cheap Lincolnshire sausage that was fried.  The wife's ribs and my steak came as I suspected.  NONE of that food had even been shown a picture of a smoker.  They advertise themselves as "An American Smokehouse".  I spent £40+ and brought it home for the dogs.  Am now eating cold KFC, and I don't care much for KFC.  DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!  Tell your friends DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!  The VERY sad thing is that this place seems popular.  Is a small place but ALL the tables were reserved!  The U.K. public thinks this is good food.  Those ribs were dire.  I kid you not,  NO seasoning; just steamed and cheap catering bbq sauce poured over.  Young dog is stupid and eats anything but the old dog walked away!!  We have our work cut out folks. British public thinks this nasty stuff is the mutts nuts and I can't get my dog to eat it.  To be fair the rump steak was cooked as ordered; but it's rump steak.  So there you have my review.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

there you go danny !!!

the great british public's ignorance of proper bbq allows places like that to thrive 

if you want great bbq you have to do it yourself

the smf uk should get it together and open a real bbq joint we would make a killing 

As per experience at a well know chain of Pubs !!!!

As I think I mentioned bwefore I'm really hoping to get over to this place in Mildenhall - hope it's okay to name it and not link but just in case it's C*DI*L*C J*C*'S
biggrin.gif

As far as I understand it's run by an ex USAF Serviceman who was on the nearby base and their ribs are described like this

SLIDE-OFF-THE-BONE RIBS

Half Rack £12.95  |  Full Rack £15.95

Slow-cooked with our secret seasonings and CJ's BBQ sauce. Available to suit your apetite in half-slab or full-slab. Served with your choice of two sides.

Does sound like they've made an effort !

One day....

i am a bit sceptical about that place mark, it looks like a jazzed up steak house rather than a bbq restaurant ,ribs seem to be the only bbq fare with a few american sides like mac and cheese and fried pickles available, as for the rest you may as well go to a harvester !!

I would have taken the "jazzed up steakhouse" rather than what I got.  Don't know who owns it but looked at the menu for that place Mark.  There is something wrong with a place that charges more for fillet steak than for rib-eye.  Having said that I was asked in an English eatery if I was aware that rib-eye was a "fatty cut of meat".  I think those ribs are an after thought and you will be disappointed; but I guess you need to give 'em a chance.  Good luck.

Danny

That's a real shame about that place Danny. I'd mentioned it to the missus and suggested a trip down that way in the camper next year 
th_crybaby2.gif
We're gonna have to have a concerted effort to find a decent Stateside bbq eaterie somewhere on these shores !

On a different tack, they've recently opened one of those Brazilian Tropeiro bbq joints near us, gave it a try but wasn't too impressed. All the meats were very salty and when we mentioned this, we were told " well that's how they do it in Brazil !"

On the plus side, we have a Christmas market in town with a German guy grilling bratwurst etc over charcoal, gotta love that German mustard !

Graeme

hi graeme 

if you are willing to travel in your camper, there are 2 yes 2  bbq places in brighton one  called smokey's on the sea front and another called the bbq shack at the worlds end pub london road ,i have heard good things about that one he does ribs, pulled pork, brisket, chicken and armadillo eggs etc , done texas style did you hear that danny lol 

hi graeme 

if you are willing to travel in your camper, there are 2 yes 2  bbq places in brighton one  called smokey's on the sea front and another called the bbq shack at the worlds end pub london road ,i have heard good things about that one he does ribs, pulled pork, brisket, chicken and armadillo eggs etc , done texas style did you hear that danny lol 
You're mention of the BBQ at the World's End's Pub in Brighton reminded me of a review of the place from a couple years ago that an acquaintance of mine in London, Jay Rayner, restaurant critic with The Observer, wrote. All in all, it was very positive, which isn't often the case with Jay. I'd post a link to the article, but since that's frowned upon, you can simply Google it.

I guess part of the issue is of course that some foods are just better in their native surroundings - eg you'll get the best Pizza's is Italy , excellent Mousaka in Greece etc etc .... sometimes that's the best thing about traveling or going 'home ' Southern Smoked Food is always going to be best in the Deep South ( but assume there's still a few dodgy places !)

Texas style huh?  Might just have to drive down to Brighton to try that.  I have eaten armadillo but what tha HE** are armadillo eggs????  Graeme, I know a really good BBQ joint in the area.  Any time you are this direction let me know and I'll cook up a couple things from back home in Texas.  Will grab the caravan and meet ya.  Couple really nice sites I can recommend in the area.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

armadillo eggs are a bit like ABT's, cheese stuffed jalepeno with sausage meat around it(scotch egg style) and wrapped in bacon i believe and i would be up for a meet up and smoke weekend (trailer tent) or if anyone is into drag racing i will probably be at santa pod in may for the main event weekend and the uds goes as well, we had fatties one night ,chicken the next and pulled pork saturday night i was cooking for 16 people PARTY TIME !!!!!!!!!  

You're mention of the BBQ at the World's End's Pub in Brighton reminded me of a review of the place from a couple years ago that an acquaintance of mine in London, Jay Rayner, restaurant critic with The Observer, wrote. All in all, it was very positive, which isn't often the case with Jay. I'd post a link to the article, but since that's frowned upon, you can simply Google it.
i have read the article myself ,brighton is about 90 mins from me so i might check it out after christmas

This site is doing just what it's supposed too, loads of info from friendly folks ! I'll take you up on that offer Danny when the weather picks up, we used to go to Centre Parc at Sherwood Forest about 15 years ago when our son was little and I always fancied having a better look around the area, I think there is/was a good aviation museum down that way and I'm sure Clumber Park gets a mention in the Camping and Caravan Club sites guide.

Paul, Brighton is an 800 mile round trip for me but if I can tie it in with a ferry crosssing to the Continent, or a longer holiday down there we'll certainly give those places a try. A guy from work goes to Santa Pod and he says the atmosphere on the campsite is very good. I'm a fan of motorsports, been to the TT a few times and F1 in Belgium, Germany, Spain and France, only time I've seen drag racing was a bike RWYB event on an airfield somewhere near Melbourne in Yorkshire, it was cold and windswept, but that's Yorkshire for you !

This site is doing just what it's supposed too, loads of info from friendly folks ! I'll take you up on that offer Danny when the weather picks up, we used to go to Centre Parc at Sherwood Forest about 15 years ago when our son was little and I always fancied having a better look around the area, I think there is/was a good aviation museum down that way and I'm sure Clumber Park gets a mention in the Camping and Caravan Club sites guide.

Paul, Brighton is an 800 mile round trip for me but if I can tie it in with a ferry crosssing to the Continent, or a longer holiday down there we'll certainly give those places a try. A guy from work goes to Santa Pod and he says the atmosphere on the campsite is very good. I'm a fan of motorsports, been to the TT a few times and F1 in Belgium, Germany, Spain and France, only time I've seen drag racing was a bike RWYB event on an airfield somewhere near Melbourne in Yorkshire, it was cold and windswept, but that's Yorkshire for you !
santa pod is not much better, it to is an airfield in the middle of nowhere,and can also be wet and very cold, but as your friend said the camp site atmosphere can be great ,but you need to see top fuel racing , either the main event may bank holiday weekend or the european finals in september are the ones to see , 300 mph in 4 seconds and 0-100mph in around 0.8 sec ,but if it rains NO RACING ,i'm also a biker and have been to f1 silverstone and at brands when they raced there ,several BSB meets and WSB events but i must say that low and slow has taken over a bit now as i am getting to be an old fart now lol

Hi Paul, we just sold our bike in May this year, first time in 37 years that I've not owned a motorbike 
icon_cry.gif
  We had a BMW R1200RT that we'd had for about 8 years. Our last big outing was a couple of years back when we toured around Germany, France, Luxembourg and Holland. My wife Val has ridden bikes since I introduced her to them when we met as teenagers, she did most of the driving on our Europe trip due to my dodgy health. We had a trip round the Scottish Highlands planned for last year with some friends but we had to cancel at the last moment again due to my health and I think that's when we decided it was time for the bike to go. I'm enjoying our campervan, it kind of fills the gap for touring that we missed from the bike but the only time I get my knee down now is when I empty the waste tank !

Graeme.

hi graeme 

i have had a few bikes over the years ,my quickest was a gsxr1100wp with trick bits and bobs that was good for 195mph most comfortable bike was an 06 honda st 1300 pan european and i have now got a yamaha tdm850 that i have used for the last couple of years that now needs a starter motor ,but i must confess that i seem to be in no rush to sort it out as i am starting to feel like my biking days are nearing the end and i feel like i am falling to bits with health problems but you know the saying sex drugs and rock n roll !!   i have no complaints lol all self inflicted but low and slow has grabbed me and i drive my family mad as it seems to be on my mind most of the time pmsl

Everything I have tasted from BBQ Shack has been great. He does very well in the BBBQS competitions too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky