The happier kind of "Eeyore"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Torch&Tone

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 9, 2019
Washington, DC
IMG_20230209_134155570.jpg

Dry rub of mostly salt, (multiple kinds of) pepper, and onion & mushroom powders. Uncovered in the fridge overnight.

Temperatures this week looked like a Powerball drawing but I picked a decent day to smoke a couple of eye of rounds (...eyes of round? EoR's, either way). They made good steaks and - with a horseradish cream sauce, smoked pepperjack, fresh tomato, pickled onion, and quality potato rolls - some excellent roast beef sammies!

IMG_20230210_182612487.jpg

[not pictured: garlic-honey mustard sauce]
For leaner cuts, I cook to rare. Even after a long rest, cutting up these steaks nearly flooded my carving board with juices. I had thought about using an injection, but these did not end up needing it.

IMG_20230218_153318749_HDR.jpg

I prefer a few (dainty?) sliders versus one big sandwich. And yes, of course, I did (lightly) toast the bread before assembly; onions and horseradish sauce are hidden under the meat. The commercial-grade slicer that I picked up from a defunct deli makes a tremendous difference in getting practically paper-thin slices, which makes a big difference in texture & quality.

That looks great! The title had me thinking donkey, so I had to click..........

Eye Round is my favorite for roast beef. I smoke it but with a very simple rub. Great cook on it, nice job.

I usually slice it thin.

Joe

Nice job on the roast beef. Great snag on the slicer! I’m sure that thing is nice to have around.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky