The Great BBQ Ribs Mystery Solved!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wntrlnd

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 18, 2009
out on the western plain
Last year I got a nice new Charbroil knock off of the venerable New Braunfels Silver Smoker.

My first attempt at smoking some ribs didn't go well.  I couldn't maintain anything near a consistent smoking temperature.

I didn't want to waste a lot of money on meat, so I decided before I put any more on to smoke, I was going to make sure I could get a fire going and keep it within the smoking temperature range.

It was impossible to manage the temperature and I couldn't figure out why.  I read lots of posts on this forum and I talked to other people that had the same smoker I have.  My brother has the original Silver Smoker and I consulted with him on the phone many times.  Still, never got anywhere.

I was really bummed out.  All last summer, I did practice burns for weeks and weeks, trying different woods, charcoals, etc, etc.  When I put the smoker in the garage for the winter, I was pessimistic I would ever figure out what I was doing wrong.

I finally figured out what the problem was.  The door of the smoker is defective.  When it closes there is about an eighth or a quarter inch gap that lets in air and makes it impossible to regulate the temperature.

I solved the problem by placing a huge chunk of oak on the lid so it seals. 

I did one test burn and confirmed that was the problem on Monday.  On Tuesday I smoked my first real honest to God ribs (St. Louis).  They were so good I can't wait to do another slab.  Even so, I think I'm going to do a brisket next.

Congratulations.  Way to stick with it.  Glad to hear you have the issue worked out.  Now, bring on the Q-VIEW with that next smoke or we are going to wonder if you are just blowing smoke up our collective minds.  
icon_smile.gif

thanks for the comment, and definitely will do on the Q view!

it crossed my mind when i opened the lid, but i was just WAY too excited to get the camera.  i waited more than a year for that rack!

it crossed my mind when i opened the lid, but i was just WAY too excited to get the camera.  i waited more than a year for that rack!
Been there, done that!  Glad it is all figured out and you are now enjoying one of the best parts of life!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky