The Best Sausages and the Wurst

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
Where I live in central Missouri there used to be 3 choices to get some delicious sausages and wursts:
  • Make it yourself,
  • Order it from afar, or
  • Load up a cooler when returning from a non-sausage/wurst deprived area.
NOW - One of our local restaurants has a butcher shop! It's not cheap, but the wife and I were thrilled that we now have some place local for our sausage and wurst desires.

Today I bought some Andouille sausage and 3 German sausages - Knackwurst, Weisswurst, and Kasekrainer sausage. My wife wanted some Kielbasa, so I have a store-bought version (Hillshire Farms) of that as well.

I fired up the old Brinkmann grill/smoker and got the temp up to around 400F. I used a little apple for smoke. Indirect heat the entire time. Pulled them when they hit 160F. It took about 20 minutes. I also made some soft pretzels and cheese dip to go with them and a big ole salad.

Bottom line in the taste test…
  • Winners were the Kielbasa and the Weisswurst - will buy these again and often
  • 2nd place goes to the Andioulle and the Kasekrainer sausage - The Andioulle is jambalaya worthy, but not grill-worthy. Kasekraner was just not my thing.
  • Last place was the Knackwurst – didn’t care for this grilled…but it will go into a future batch of Jambalaya!
Pictures follow:

Here is todays purchase. Andioulle - on top, Kasekrainer - bottom left, Weisswurst - bottom center, Knackwurst - bottom right.
IMG_5991.jpg

Prepped for the grill...
IMG_5992d.jpg

Getting close to done...
IMG_5994.jpg

Time to eat!
Kielbasa - top left, Weisswurst - top center, Andioulle - top right, Kasekrainer - bottom left, Kackwurst - bottom right.
IMG_5996.jpg

That is a good sausage connection to have! My only real complaint about specialty butcher shops is sometimes they go a little too heavy on the salt.

Too bad about their Knackwurst, I like veal in sausage better than beef and Knackwurst is similar to German and Polish sausages only with the addition of cloves and cumin.

Reactions: uncle eddie
Nice haul Eddie . Poach that Weisswurst and peel the casing .
Dip in mustard . Eat before noon , but anytime is ok . Thats one of my favorites .
Love the knackwurst to .

Nice haul Eddie . Poach that Weisswurst and peel the casing .
Dip in mustard . Eat before noon , but anytime is ok . Thats one of my favorites .
Love the knackwurst to .

Thanks chopsaw chopsaw . I love weisswurst and was so stoked to find it! Haven’t had it in years...since my last trip to Germany. I mostly had it “poached” then but it was also good grilled. Good mustard and good beer is a must!

last trip to Germany. I mostly had it “poached
Well heck , you got me beat by a mile . Lol . I made some last year . It came out good , but doesn't freeze well .
Swiss meats in Swiss Missouri has some great stuff . About an hour from me .
When you make another trip post up what you get .

What a great looking and fun taste test. I’d try everything at least a few times and wash it down with a dark beer.

We have keilbasa all over the place here, lots of stores still make their own. There’s also a Keilbasa festival around here too...I guess that’s a good problem to have?

Well heck , you got me beat by a mile . Lol . I made some last year . It came out good , but doesn't freeze well .
Swiss meats in Swiss Missouri has some great stuff . About an hour from me .
When you make another trip post up what you get .

chopsaw chopsaw - Swiss, MO is only an hour or so from here. I had no idea they made sausages and wursts. Maybe next time I head to Bay, MO I will take the long way through Hermann so I can stop at Swiss.

Reactions: chopsaw
Hermann wurst haus in Hermann is good to . They have a thing you sign up for . Make 5 lbs of sausage . Swiss meats has been on food network and best thing I ever ate . We used to get Weisswust and a cooked mettwurst . Some brats of course .

All the sausage looks good. Yeah, Knackwurst doesn't do well on the grill IMHO. While in Germany I damn near started WWIII putting those on a grill! My then future MIL. Had a fit when I did that. I thought the pot of water on the burner next to the grill was for the potato dumplings!
You poach those. Then put them on a hard roll with a good smear of sharp mustard.

Looks Great, Unc!!!
Just right for Game time Snacking!!
A few slices of each would make Me Happy!!!
Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky