The BBQ Gun Thread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Springfield Armory M1A Standard .308 WIN / 7.62x51 NATO
Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC
20220306_141404(0).jpg

Last edited:
Springfield Armory M1A Standard .308 WIN / 7.62x51 NATO
Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC
View attachment 656908
I have a standard also, and a few large capacity mags, but can't bring myself to put an optic on it. Having fired an M-14 which to me is one of the coolest looking guns ever I had to have the M1A. 1911 is also at the top of the cool looking chart, as is the hi power.

I have a standard also, and a few large capacity mags, but can't bring myself to put an optic on it. Having fired an M-14 which to me is one of the coolest looking guns ever I had to have the M1A. 1911 is also at the top of the cool looking chart, as is the hi power.
The older I get the nicer it is to have an optic, more so for short range target and hunting.
But I still shoot the M1A and other rifles over irons, especially at ranges 400-600 yards where my eyes actually do better than they do at 100-400.
I sometimes go the CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park to shoot their rifle range out to 600 yards.
It's the cat's meow, all targets and scoring are electronic, no walking to mark/repost targets or working the pits.
And that is always shot over irons.

Reactions: negolien
Sounds awesome. I too am aging and optics are a game changer for blind folks like me.... but I don't have anywhere to stretch the legs on anything without driving long distance or paying mucho dinero. But since we're talking Springfield and I brought up 1911's here's a new addition I picked up last Monday. For the money the Garrison is a sweet ride, and I'd wear it to any BBQ. I did get it on the Springfield Firstline program so the price was right.

20230204_140646.jpg

Sounds awesome. I too am aging and optics are a game changer for blind folks like me.... but I don't have anywhere to stretch the legs on anything without driving long distance or paying mucho dinero. But since we're talking Springfield and I brought up 1911's here's a new addition I picked up last Monday. For the money the Garrison is a sweet ride, and I'd wear it to any BBQ. I did get it on the Springfield Firstline program so the price was right.

View attachment 656922
Posted my colt in post #97

Reactions: mr_whipple
Just a few… I’ll post some more later…

A7D847FF-B5DF-4393-8191-FEF3CD1F6435.jpeg

6.5 Creedmoor… Only had for a couple years… has taken 5 elk in 2 years… not a bad start for a rifle! Last year, dropped a cow elk at 400 yards!

4FD926B7-3B16-4934-8ED3-3DCD97F8E12A.jpeg

My 9mm, not a bad companion when muzzleloader hunting!

Wife’s .380
She is small statured and loves this!

1930D00A-9502-4C6D-BC58-E95C491A4579.jpeg

0BE09D2F-05ED-4666-BD89-5630468E5ECE.jpeg

My 17 HMR… tack driver! Currently upgrading the scope! But before the upgrade could get 1/4” groups at 500 yards!

Last edited:
When I was a young man, I didn't like optics. Where I hunted, a hundred yards was a LOOOONNGGGGGG way, and plinking plates and balloons with my 10-22's or even any of my 7.62 rifles with iron sights was just more..... fun - even at a hundred yards. Had to be quick on rabbits and tree rats too.

Now that I'm old, I can't even see a plate or a balloon at a hundred yards, so optics it is.

Pistol - I don't aim in the traditional sense of the word. I point and shoot and as long as it hits within a foot of what I'm pointing at within 30 feet - I'm happy (with my carry guns). I'm one of those cats who can make steel sing but to get a good grouping is just something I never cared about. My 92 is about the only exception to that rule. I love my 92 and will definitely see just how good I can be with it, but I rarely carry it. A 92 is a hoss, even now that I can open carry. I did it a few times but it's mighty uncomfortable to drive with that on my side.

To the fella who winter carries a Super Redhawk - damn on ya son. Good gun but that's also a lotta metal to lug around.

My favorite is my 8.5” 300 blackout, I had to leave it at my brothers once we got stationed in hawaii but we are reunited again lol BB4F0DEE-ECD2-42DF-9006-9CA4408A1179.jpeg

Top is an 18” build, middle is a 16” build and bottom is a 14.5” with a pinned barrel. This was my budget build. Pistols are Taurus Millennium G2, Walter p22 and M&P shield. The shield is a 40 cal and snappy. I couldn’t imagine it in 45. I don’t get crazy with my AR builds as far as high dollar parts. All of them are eithe PSA or Anderson lowers. And all have barrels from a place called Andro Corp in Florida. Best barrel for the money if you ask me.

3E709577-1106-40FD-AD5D-E540B6D5042C.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky