The ammonia taste of Mold-600

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Lolley

Original poster
Oct 30, 2017
I used Bactoferm Mold-600 on some Lonzinos and Bresaolas without casings because I thought it would help with case hardening. I also had 1 smaller piece of loin that I just cold smoked (heavy) for 8 hours and put in my curing chamber with the rest. Well my mold-600 grew so well that they were completely covered with heavy mold in less than 2 days, and when everything was done I wished I hadn't used the mold. The ammonia flavor was too much, even if I brush it off and wipe it down it still lingers in the meat. The small piece that I smoked actually had less case hardening than the others and tasted much better. I have been making dried sausage for over 30 years and I always used heavy cold smoke and never had any mold or bad taste. I should have known better but I decided to try my luck at whole muscle curing instead of sausage. This of course meant making a curing chamber and buying fancy surface molds etc. (at least that's what everyone was saying on the internet). Since then I just dry cure and then give it a good dose of cold smoke and put it in the chamber. I do enjoy the curing chamber though (compared to just hanging in the open) so I guess some of the new technology these days does have its benefits. By the way, the smaller piece (smoked) never grew any mold even though it was right next to the others that were covered with an 1/8" of mold-600. I'm now a firm believer that enough cold smoking can protect against the bad molds and not cause much case hardening if your curing chamber is up to snuff, so no more nasty tasting surface molds for me (at least not on whole muscle without casings). I may try it again if I ever use a casing that can be pealed off later.

I searched but couldn't find much about the ammonia taste offending anyone, so I need some of you guys to let me know if you like the taste or not, and if using casings that can be removed later makes the ammonia taste in the meat less prominent.

Just curious as to when u added the mold culture?and how long the meats have been hanging?Temp?humidity?Pics?lol
I too was a basement rafter hanging type of guy till i built a hillbilly chamber.Ur humidity must be some high to have that much growth that fast.I have never had a strong amonia taste in a product while using bactoferm 600,but some strong smells while the mold is growing.I quite enjoy the mushroom smell and taste it produces when finished.Curious to see what the pros say.Cfarmer and daveomak have helped me along on this site,nice to get some support:)They are very knowledgeable folks.

I used Bactoferm Mold-600 on some Lonzinos and Bresaolas without casings because I thought it would help with case hardening ....

I think you "may" have used mold 600 in an application, where I cannot find a recommendation... raw meat coverage may not be acceptable... Seems you may be in that camp now...
As to your problem of case hardening... Proper humidity, temperature and air flow are appropriate and do an excellent job controlling case hardening...
As you also noted, smoke... Smoke does control molds on meat surfaces... Smoke is a preservative in its own right...

As mentioned previously, Do not mix and match recipes.. Find a reputable source other than the internet forums, blogs etc... even some "Drs. on some food blogs/forums" don't follow FDA/USDA/FSIS" protocols...
FDA, Universities are good choices..

I used Bactoferm Mold-600 on some Lonzinos and Bresaolas without casings because I thought it would help with case hardening ....

I think you "may" have used mold 600 in an application, where I cannot find a recommendation... raw meat coverage may not be acceptable... Seems you may be in that camp now...
As to your problem of case hardening... Proper humidity, temperature and air flow are appropriate and do an excellent job controlling case hardening...
As you also noted, smoke... Smoke does control molds on meat surfaces... Smoke is a preservative in its own right...

As mentioned previously, Do not mix and match recipes.. Find a reputable source other than the internet forums, blogs etc... even some "Drs. on some food blogs/forums" don't follow FDA/USDA/FSIS" protocols...
FDA, Universities are good choices..
I sure hope its acceptable lol,i have 8 loins covered with it as we speak
Seriously tho,i have used 600 on beef rounds before,back before i had a chamber of sorts lol.Personally i never had any problems with strong amonia ,but that was hanging in open air in a basement.

Did you find a recipe that suggested using mold 600 directly on the meat ?????

I used mold 600 a few times...never tasted amonia...just the typical benefical mold taste (mushroomy). But my mold was never that thick like you describe.

I am surprised mold grew on the smoked meat.

When you prepared the mold solution have you used it as it says in the package? (within 12 or 24 h....can't remember). I understand that using it after that creates the risk of contamination with some nasty yeasts. Could have been that?

Did you find a recipe that suggested using mold 600 directly on the meat ?????
No i did not,guess i figured it was fine since its edible.As i mentioned,i had no strong taste from it being applied directly to the surface.

Good point... Good test.... When I read the Bresaola recipe, it calls for a casing of sorts to stuff the meat in .... Well, the casing has to breathe... I picked up some kite making material that is very light weight... food safe... and porous.. it has 0.2 micron porosity... it breathes yet water can't pass through it.. only moisture.... sounds like it might work... I'm waiting for my s$%t to get together so I can try it..

Maybe my wording was a little strong, the taste does start leaning toward more of a "mushroomy" flavor with more age, but I must be sensitive to the flavor as others have tasted some and don't find it overbearing, of course they usually have a mason jar in one hand when they are doing the tasting. To me the flavor seems to cover up a lot of the other seasonings. I don't know if the mold should be applied to un-cased muscle but all I can remember from my childhood was seeing a whitish mold growing on large chunks of un-cased pork my dad used to have hanging in the "meat house" (small building with a kitchen and plenty of stainless steel tables and a walk in cooler) and that was in the '60s, I doubt that there where any molds that you could purchase back then so it must have grown on it's own. I never asked him why he hung it in the building instead of the walk in cooler, I just didn't think that stuff was important back then ( what can I say, it was the '60s ). My dad passed 15 years ago and I regret not getting every bit of his meat curing knowledge before he died, but that goes for a lot of things that I use to see my parents, grandparents and others do. At the time we were young and didn't take the time to learn the old tricks that they learned from their parents, what I wouldn't give to get another chance to go back and pay very close attention. It's sad that my generation screwed up and ended a lot of traditions that should have been passed down.

I grew the mold at 75f and 85%rh, that was applied with a spray bottle at 1/2tsp 600 with 2/3 cup 75f water (let sit for 2hrs.). I sprayed 6 pieces 3 times each before I ran out. I just rinsed the meat after the cure, tied it and sprayed right away.

I've found that if you cold smoke the meat before spraying the mold it will grow but it will take 4 or 5 days to get started. If I spray before smoking It won't grow at all.

One of the descriptions of the mold-600 is to help case hardening when temps are low and humidity is low, so I figured that since I had seen it 50 years ago that it might help. Like I said in my first post, I have been doing only dried sausage for a long time which would grow some white mold when hung in the meat house but I would just wipe it off. I'm just now diving into the whole muscle thing, and yes I'm to lazy or hard headed or maybe I just want to stick to the SHTF scenario of not having any casings.

My next project is to get better at the 35% weight loss type of dried sausage as I've always dried it hard so it would last forever, I've eaten a piece that was (un-wrapped) in the pocket of my hunting jacket for 4 years and it was delicious, of course when you start getting older the hard stuff hurts the teeth.

I've got tons of pictures, I just don't have a hosting site and I can't upload them straight to this forum.

Hmm, after reading this, I'm getting nervous with my meat hanging, but not to much as you've all helped me along.
I've got relatively heavy mold grow with 80% humidity, perhaps now I should turn my circulation fan on and run it 24/7

Also, love that mushroomy smell as well, gonna go give my a snort

Last edited:
Hmm, after reading this, I'm getting nervous with my meat hanging, but not to much as you've all helped me along.
I've got relatively heavy mold grow with 80% humidity, perhaps now I should turn my circulation fan on and run it 24/7

Also, love that mushroomy smell as well, gonna go give my a snort
I wouldnt worry about it

It only got 1 speed daveo, it a 3" x 3" fan, much like a computer fan, only this one is used to move air around in your house during the winter.
You would mount it up top in the corner of a doorway to push air.
It doesn't push a ton of air, but more then a mini computer fan.
I have it off, for some season I am having trouble getting the humidity below 81% and the fan only makes it go up.

I have a dehumidifier coming Saturday afternoon, I should be ok till then.
What do you think?

I purchased a " Century Short Period Repeat Cycle Timer Day/night, or 24 Hours Operation"... It's going to be part of my curing chamber when I get going... I plan on using it to turn my fan on and off... check it out.... $30.. it can be used in conjunction with this voltage controller to slow the fan as needed.....

Cycle Timer

Last edited:
Reactions: forkin pork
I wish I knew you were purchasing a timer, I would have recommended Feelle Timer, it's only 14.99 on Amazon.
Great timer, plus it has about 4 different functions, one being a cycle timer. So if anyone is looking I'd recommend that one.
But I do like the voltage regulator, I'm gonna order that one to slow my fan down, thanks for that daveo.

I used Bactoferm Mold-600 on some Lonzinos and Bresaolas without casings because I thought it would help with case hardening. I also had 1 smaller piece of loin that I just cold smoked (heavy) for 8 hours and put in my curing chamber with the rest. Well my mold-600 grew so well that they were completely covered with heavy mold in less than 2 days, and when everything was done I wished I hadn't used the mold. The ammonia flavor was too much, even if I brush it off and wipe it down it still lingers in the meat. The small piece that I smoked actually had less case hardening than the others and tasted much better. I have been making dried sausage for over 30 years and I always used heavy cold smoke and never had any mold or bad taste. I should have known better but I decided to try my luck at whole muscle curing instead of sausage. This of course meant making a curing chamber and buying fancy surface molds etc. (at least that's what everyone was saying on the internet). Since then I just dry cure and then give it a good dose of cold smoke and put it in the chamber. I do enjoy the curing chamber though (compared to just hanging in the open) so I guess some of the new technology these days does have its benefits. By the way, the smaller piece (smoked) never grew any mold even though it was right next to the others that were covered with an 1/8" of mold-600. I'm now a firm believer that enough cold smoking can protect against the bad molds and not cause much case hardening if your curing chamber is up to snuff, so no more nasty tasting surface molds for me (at least not on whole muscle without casings). I may try it again if I ever use a casing that can be pealed off later.

I searched but couldn't find much about the ammonia taste offending anyone, so I need some of you guys to let me know if you like the taste or not, and if using casings that can be removed later makes the ammonia taste in the meat less prominent.

Ammonia odor and flavor is a symptom of a problem. I have encountered this issue before. I would suggest evaluating the air flow, ambient humidity, and double check the ratio of Mold 600 to water. Sometimes high humidity in uneven airflow and over-inoculation can cause "out growth" and may even increase the rate at which the proteins in your sausages break down.

I found this in one of Dr. Chris Hansen papers

"Ammonia“ aroma too strong
Too much use of Penicillium Candidum
Too much presence of yeasts
Wrong fermentation & drying cycle kills first growth of molds;
dying molds create more ammonia
Use more penicillium nalgiovense

Hi All,
Having same issue. It starter about 2 weeks into drying. Temp set at 14c and 82rh. Using Mold 600, as directed on packaging. Should I brush off? I have now lowered temp to 10c and have curing fridge tiny bit open to let air circulate.

Thanks
Luca

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky