Thanksgiving turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ngb5083

Original poster
Nov 21, 2022
Hello I’m looking for advice on if I can smoke a 18 pound turkey at about 200 degree Fahrenheit. I’ve smoke dozens of bricks of cheese and sausage but never a full turkey. Just want to know if I could at that temperature, how long it would probably take or if I’d be wasting my time. Thanks

If you're smoking, then in reality your temp will be in a range. Plenty of people have smoked turkeys at 225 which is to say, the actual temp of the smoker would swing - generally 200-250, or maybe 210-240, depending on your smoker and how close you're monitoring it.

Are you stuffing it? A stuffed turkey will take extra time. I stuff mine with apples and onions and cook at 225, and it takes about 35 mins per pound.

An empty carcass would cook quicker.

I think you could cook it at 200 (175-225) but I'm not sure you'd want to do it that way deliberately. I would push it up to 225 at least. Also, it will take a looooong time to cook it that low.

But at 200 or 225, know that your skin won't be crispy, but your meat should be plenty juicy.

Good luck.

Sounds good thanks! I have a smoker I built and it heats using propane. I tried to see how hot I could get it tonight but it didn’t get past 200-205

Sounds good thanks! I have a smoker I built and it heats using propane. I tried to see how hot I could get it tonight but it didn’t get past 200-205
Don't know where you are located, but if you are in a cold part of the world right now and the weather is holding your max temps down in your smoker, can you wrap your smoker in a welders blanket to try and raise your temps higher? Have you also verified the accuracy of the thermometer you are checking your temps with?

Hello I’m looking for advice on if I can smoke a 18 pound turkey at about 200 degree Fahrenheit. I’ve smoke dozens of bricks of cheese and sausage but never a full turkey. Just want to know if I could at that temperature, how long it would probably take or if I’d be wasting my time. Thanks
Could I smoke it for a 5-6 hours and then put it in the over? Of cook it in the over first and then smoke it a couple hours?

Since poultry takes on smoke relatively quickly, you could smoke the turkey at 200° for 90 mintues then transfer it a preheated 325°- 350° oven to finish it.
An 18lb whole bird at 200° would take forever and the skin will be rubbery.

Reactions: BigW.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky