THANKSGIVING SIDE ITEMS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Couple ideas for you.

Sweet potato soup and caramelized Brussels Sprouts.

First the soup.
Start off with sauteeing some celery, onions and carrots in a large saucepan til the veggies are soft but not browned. Salt and pepper liberally.

For about the last 3 minutes of the saute, toss in 2 chopped garlic cloves and about 5 chopped sage leaves. About a quarter teaspoon if using dried sage.

Then add a quarter teaspoon of Chinese 5 spice blend and stir around for half a minute or so until it gets fragrant.

Then take a large can, yes CAN, of sweet potatoes,and drain off the liquid and dump them in the pot, followed by a quart of chicken broth. Bring everything to a boil, then turn it off and blend with a stick blender, or a regular blender, or run it through a food mill.

For a more rustic soup, just mash the sweet potatoes and leave it on the chunky side. Garnish with sour cream, fried sage leaves and crispy bacon bits.

Now the sprouts.

Preheat your oven to 450f.

I started doing these because they take the same time/temp as my biscuits, so if you're making biscuits too, just put 'em in together.

Clean and halve as many sprouts as will cover the bottom of your cast iron skillet.

Coat the bottom of said skillet with olive oil. Give it a pretty good amount, olive oil is good for you and the sprouts need a good bit.

To the oil, add salt, pepper and garlic powder. i usually use about a tablespoon of kosher salt, and about half that of pepper and garlic powder.

Toss in the sprouts and toss them in the oil/salt/pepper/garlic mixture.

Then make sure to turn every sprout cut side down.

Roast at 450f for 17-20 minutes or until the cut sides are deeply browned.

Both of these travel and reheat well.
This soup sounds so easy and delicious! Thanksgiving or not ill definitely be giving this a try! Thanks for the recipes!

This soup sounds so easy and delicious! Thanksgiving or not ill definitely be giving this a try! Thanks for the recipes!
It really is simple. You can use fresh sweet potatoes or butternut squash if you want, but it doesn't really improve it much.

You can also make it meatless by using vegetable broth, sauteeing in olive oil and garnishing with coconut cream instead of sour cream. Not that that's much of a concern here, but I did have a vegan over for dinner recently and made this.

I can vouch for Caramelized Brussels Sprouts, they're so good.
I do mine slightly different but the outcome is similar enough.

Brussels are always great! They were mentioned before but i like the idea if the the bacon and bacon grease with you yours! Thanks for posting!

We do fried deviled eggs wrapped in bacon with a cheesy chorizo filling sometimes. They are pretty tasty..
I have never had anything like this. It sounds very interesting.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky