THANKSGIVING SIDE ITEMS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2017
Maplewood OH
I need some ideas on a side item to take to one of our thanksgivings. Ill most likely make some ABTs because they are always a hit but wanted to bring another item. There will already be plenty of meat items and the standard mashed potatoes, noodles, greenbean casserole. Any ideas for me?

How about an awesome No-Leftover Chipotle Dip...go ahead...ruin their dinner ha-ha. Super easy too.

Here is my recipe:
  • 1 -1/2 cups sour cream
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons Mrs Dash southwest chipotle seasoning mix
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder - or - onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Mix it up in a bowl. Refrigerate. Mix it occasionally before serving.
This dip is way better if you make it 3+ hours before serving.

Serve with your favorite chips or crackers

How about an awesome No-Leftover Chipotle Dip...go ahead...ruin their dinner ha-ha. Super easy too.

Here is my recipe:
  • 1 -1/2 cups sour cream
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons Mrs Dash southwest chipotle seasoning mix
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder - or - onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Mix it up in a bowl. Refrigerate. Mix it occasionally before serving.
This dip is way better if you make it 3+ hours before serving.

Serve with your favorite chips or crackers
That sounds like a good dip!

I'm not sure if you've heard of Spinach Maria but it's a great Thanksgiving side and reheats well after transport. It's a super creamy, spicy and cheesy sort of creamed spinach. It calls for a lot of cheese so if you have a stash of smoked cheese it'd be a great way to incorporate them. One thing though - it calls for some velveeta as well. I cringed the first time I threw it into the mix but it is integral. No one will know lol

You could do something a little different. Smoked Mac and Cheese, Broccoli Casserole, Spinach Maria, Pineapple Bacon Crack, and I have been wanting to try chilerelleno chilerelleno pulled pork biscuit bombs. Ill also second uncle eddie uncle eddie chipotle dip...I have made it and its delicious!
Thanks! All great ideas! chilerelleno chilerelleno biscuit bombs do look pretty good! So far thats 2 votes for uncle eddie uncle eddie dip recipe. Must be some really good stuff!

Reactions: JC in GB
I'm not sure if you've heard of Spinach Maria but it's a great Thanksgiving side and reheats well after transport. It's a super creamy, spicy and cheesy sort of creamed spinach. It calls for a lot of cheese so if you have a stash of smoked cheese it'd be a great way to incorporate them. One thing though - it calls for some velveeta as well. I cringed the first time I threw it into the mix but it is integral. No one will know lol

Man I love this stuff its a staple around my house on the holidays. Use a recipe from a local restaurant in our area. So good and a hit to everyone who has tried it. Doubles as a dip as well

Reactions: Omnivore
Ive never had it but we do like creamed spinach. Ill check out some recipes for it. Thats 2 votes for that as well. Unfortunately i just smoked more cheese last weekend and it needs more resting time yet so i wouldnt be able to incorporate that into the recipe.

Reactions: Omnivore
Man I love this stuff its a staple around my house on the holidays. Use a recipe from a local restaurant in our area. So good and a hit to everyone who has tried it. Doubles as a dip as well

I just saw that you beat me to it! I love it too! The first time I made it everyone scoffed over a spinach dish but they were believers after that. Never thought of using it as a dip, I bet that is so good with some crusty bread.

Wife's standards are coleslaw and veggie tray. I thought the coleslaw was the weirdest thing at first but it just works. Veggie tray is loaded and includes green and black olives, cauliflower, broccoli, green and red peppers, served with a wicked ranch meets cream cheese dip.

From the smoker, sliced smoked turkey is probably the best hors d'oeuvre I make. Pops low salt brine and smoked for about 24hrs.

Never heard of that spinach maria but looks dang good! THANKS

Sowsage Sowsage try some dust. Total game changer for me. You can eat right off smoker but is perfect after a few days. Although resting helps, pellet smoked cheese is still too rough tasting to me and my family agrees.

Wife's standards are coleslaw and veggie tray. I thought the coleslaw was the weirdest thing at first but it just works. Veggie tray is loaded and includes green and black olives, cauliflower, broccoli, green and red peppers, served with a wicked ranch meets cream cheese dip.

From the smoker, sliced smoked turkey is probably the best hors d'oeuvre I make. Pops low salt brine and smoked for about 24hrs.

Never heard of that spinach maria but looks dang good! THANKS

Sowsage Sowsage try some dust. Total game changer for me. You can eat right off smoker but is perfect after a few days. Although resting helps, pellet smoked cheese is still too rough tasting to me and my family agrees.
Ill have to try using dust sometime. I will say i like a strong smoke flavor on our cheese . I usually do about 3-4 hr with the pellets. They are a bit bitter right after but after the resting period there is no bitterness and a strong smoke flavor.

Reactions: zwiller
That chipotle dip sounds really good. I need to try that.

What about Hot Sausage Dip? We make this a lot for family functions.

Hot Sausage Dip

1lb. chub of sausage. (Bob Evans zesty or Jimmy Deans hot)
1c. sour cream
1/2c. mayo
1/4c. grated Parmesean
5 scallions chopped

Brown sausage and drain very well. Combine with rest of ingredients and bake at 325F for 20 minutes. Serve warm. It can also be reheated in a crockpot on low the next day. Serve with triscuits or tosito scoops.

That chipotle dip sounds really good. I need to try that.

What about Hot Sausage Dip? We make this a lot for family functions.

Hot Sausage Dip

1lb. chub of sausage. (Bob Evans zesty or Jimmy Deans hot)
1c. sour cream
1/2c. mayo
1/4c. grated Parmesean
5 scallions chopped

Brown sausage and drain very well. Combine with rest of ingredients and bake at 325F for 20 minutes. Serve warm. It can also be reheated in a crockpot on low the next day. Serve with triscuits or tosito scoops.
I have made some sausage dip before. A little different than the recipe you have. Yours looks like its really tasty. Ill have to give this a try even if its not for thanksgiving. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

I have made some sausage dip before. A little different than the recipe you have. Yours looks like its really tasty. Ill have to give this a try even if its not for thanksgiving. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Yeah, we've made the one with rotel and cheese before but we keep coming back to this one though. My mom is always bringing this one along.

Yeah, we've made the one with rotel and cheese before but we keep coming back to this one though. My mom is always bringing this one along.
Yea thats pretty much the one i have made before. Its good but your recipe looks better!

Of course I have to endorse the Biscuit Bombs.
And my recent Hasselback Au Gratin Potatoes too.
My Dirty Rice has graced the Thanksgiving table.
Or perhaps a decadent Oyster Stuffing.
And a coarsely chopped and heavily spiced Cranberry Dressing is always good.

Of course I have to endorse the Biscuit Bombs.
And my recent Hasselback Au Gratin Potatoes too.
My Dirty Rice has graced the Thanksgiving table.
Or perhaps a decadent Oyster Stuffing.
And a coarsely chopped and heavily spiced Cranberry Dressing is always good.
Someone has a potatoes dish already covered. Honestly i was disappointed because the hasselback Au Gratin potatoes you did was the first potatoe dish that came to mind!

This. Absolutely this. Plus it's a great read. From the old foodspin site before it got swallowed up

Reactions: Sowsage

This. Absolutely this. Plus it's a great read. From the old foodspin site before it got swallowed up
Mashed cauliflower is good stuff, this recipe looks amazing! Great read! i had a big grin on my face the whole way through it!

Reactions: fivetricks
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky