Thanksgiving practice run.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

akdutchguy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
Palmer AK
Got an old turkey from my sister in law for our weekly cousin feed. Put the turkey in a basic salt and sugar brine for 3 days. I love this time of year when it stays between 32 and 40 outside so I don't need to use the fridge. I fired up the uds with some kbb. Got it holding at 300. Threw the old bird on at about 1530. Smoked over some mesquite. At 1700 it was done. Rested the bird until 1800 while Iade up some potatoes au graten. Wanted to smoke the potatoes but ran out of time. The turkey was nice and juicy. The smoke level was good. I usually do alder or apple on turkeys but had a bunch of mesquite I need to use. All in all it turned out good. Some parts were tough but that's just a old grown turkey. I forgot to get a pic of the potatoes but they all were consumed.
Jason
spatchcocked.jpg

Reactions: lovethemeats
Unngh, I am so close. I was looking at turkey breasts in the store today, didn't quite make the jump yet.

soon.JPG

I've had good luck with turkey on the smoker. This year I have more people in the house, so it's time to show them something new.

turkey_done.jpg

The mesquite worked well for me. I think it would be overpowering on a longer smoke. I don't use mesquite that much. I got this bag for some goat I did awhile back. Might have to try some other proteins.
Jason

Reactions: Rings Я Us
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky