TEXAS STYLE BUTT

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bworthy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 1, 2014
Folsom, CA
I thought I would try something different, so found this recipe from Malcom Reed. Texas style pork butt, used 50/50 Kosher salt and CBP instead of my usual modified Jeff’s rub. Smoked at 250° with oak for the smoke for 6 hours, color and bark just right. IT was at 163°, wrapped in butcher paper and back on for about another 4 hours. I have never wrapped my pork butts before, always just let them go! Temp at 203° and probed tender. Let it rest for about 2 hours then pulled. Vacuum sealed for future use, but not before having a few bites! Man, I think this turned out better than any previous attempts. Will be making sandwiches for dinner tonight.
0DD05CE6-6A2B-4497-A99A-0D5C9853171D.jpeg 2DA5583B-1F84-48D8-B5D9-63F73DAB2161.jpeg B28D0B05-296F-46FE-8B57-2BBAE1F2BAF7.jpeg 6EE14008-2403-4B46-A768-0B32D64FFC6A.jpeg

Butt looks great! I haven't wrapped a butt yet in paper but planning on it next time I do one. Recently did ribs in paper and they were some of the best ones yet! Enjoy the sandwiches!

Edit...paper not foil!

Last edited:
Butt looks great! I haven't wrapped a butt yet in paper but planning on it next time I do one. Recently did ribs in paper and they were some of the best ones yet! Enjoy the sandwiches! Edit...paper not foil!

I'm with you John, I haven't either but for the time it saves I'm thinking of giving wrapping a shot. Might as well, I got a big roll of paper last summer that's just been sitting untouched. If they come out looking like bworthy bworthy 's it'll be fine with me, that looks great, Like! RAY

Reactions: bworthy
I tend to wrap after the stall begins with paper. They always are juicy with a decent bark as well.

That does look fine.

Reactions: bworthy
The last time I smoked a butt I also tried vac sealing some pulled port. I got to say that is the way to go to have pulled pork at a later time. Taste just like the day I smoked it.

Nice looking butt, now I am in the mood to do a butt myself.

The last time I smoked a butt I also tried vac sealing some pulled port. I got to say that is the way to go to have pulled pork at a later time. Taste just like the day I smoked it.

Nice looking butt, now I am in the mood to do a butt myself.
I pretty much always seal some up, makes for a lot of different meals. Love making tacos with the PP.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky