Texas Pepper Smoked Sirloin Roast - Reverse Engineered

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

plume-o-smoke

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 9, 2014
When I was in Texas a few years back I had a sirloin steak that was unique and fan-freaking-tastic. Forget what you think you know about cheap sirloin steak. The texture/moisture of this technique is unlike any sirloin steak I’ve ever had. Juicy, tender. With a beautiful smoked beef flavor that is there, but not overpowering at all. I forget the restaurant name, I think it was in Amarillo. It was evident an entire whole sirloin roast was coated with cracked black pepper on one side and smoked, then sliced into steaks and served. I found one post on this from ~15 years ago, and then went to work. Here's what I came up with.
  • Whole sirloin (likely will be tied w/ twine), salt the night before. ½ tsp per pound of meat.
  • Coat fat side w/ cracked pepper - Cracked. Not ground. Not coarse ground. Cracked. I coat it pretty thick, no bare spots, but only on the fat side
  • Smoke fairly cool, low and slow wins the day here. 225-235. I go until IT=130 (medium rare). But you do you.
  • Sear on a hot grill.
  • Slice into steaks, serve.
It took 2:15 on the smoker, ~20 min on the gas grill for the sear. So start ~2.5 hours before serving time. BTW, this also works great as an add on to ribs on the smoker.

1675696584973.png
1675696605407.png

Looks like a winner from here

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky