Texas Hot Link Smoke !!! (Hot Gut) w/QView

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tallbm

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 30, 2016
Texas
Yesterday was a sausage smoking day for me. Did 22 pounds of my Texas Hot Link / Texas Hot Gut sausages!

Here is qview and then the write up.

Pics (in casings, peeled and chilled sausages, cut and vac sealed, and finally eating some for lunch with mustard).
99PsgrL.jpg
BG31cUC.jpg
o5rkf8j.jpg
i7x2Xwp.jpg

I ground the meat a while back. Yesterday I mixed, stuffed, smoked, vac sealed, and then made a quick plate for lunch.
Started about 3pm yesterday with the mixing and stuffing and pulled em out of the smoker and had chilling in the garage fridge around 4:30am today. Just finished cutting, vac sealing, cleaning up, and having a little bit for lunch with just some mustard.

Smoking Details
  • Smoke: 70% Apple, 30% Hickory (Lumberjack pellets) applied for about 5-6 hours (2 rows of AMNPS) in my PID controlled MES40. Hung on dowels with homemade sausage smoking mod/add-on.
  • What makes them Texas Style? Mixing beef and pork and then some of the seasonings.
  • 22 pounds went into the smoker!
  • Recipe: I worked this great flavor into shape and the recipe/ingredients are listed here https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/texas-hot-link-sausage-qview-hot-gut.309730/
  • Taste: AMAZING!!! I prefer them a hair hotter but I worked down the seasoning to this point so people could get good heat without being too much and maybe even the heat sensitive can enjoy 1-2 bites before they get too bothered by the heat.
  • Skinless sausages. Casings are cellulose (plastic) to make skinless dogs. Big sausage size and a few hot dog sausage size. I wanted to use up a little left over of the hot dog size I had.
Thanks and enjoy, I know I will! :D

Last edited:
tallbm tallbm what an awesome thread! Very nice job on them links… Phenomenal! Definitely going to try the recipe, thanks for sharing!

Nice work . I make the " Texas hot link " from Marianski . It's uncured / not smoked . I add Carolina reaper powder to them . They're really good .
I know you dialed yours in . They look great .

Awesome looking links tallbm! Good stuff!
Thanks, it sure is :D

tallbm tallbm what an awesome thread! Very nice job on them links… Phenomenal! Definitely going to try the recipe, thanks for sharing!
Thanks! I really like where I got the recipe. Give it a shot and then tweak to your own tastes should you want to change anything :)

Nice work . I make the " Texas hot link " from Marianski . It's uncured / not smoked . I add Carolina reaper powder to them . They're really good .
I know you dialed yours in . They look great .
When I started this I was aiming for the kind I used to get as a kid here in TX and they were good and hot. I think I nailed it.
Carolina reaper would definitely kick it up a notch for sure hahaha. I prefer my hot links a little hotter but this one is amazing and works for a wider variety of people.

Thanks! :)

Reactions: chopsaw
When I started this I was aiming for the kind I used to get as a kid here in TX and they were good and hot.
Yeah . I'm thinking the Marianski version isn't the same as what most would consider the real deal .
I copied your formula . I know you put some work into it .

Reactions: tallbm
Man, those sure look delicious. Excellent work. I’m curious about the Erythritol as a sweetener what’s your take on it? I’ve never tasted it but must be good or you wouldn’t put it in the sausage. Like.

Dang man, excellent work there. I know you've been working on these for a while, and it sure has paid off. They look perfect. :emoji_thumbsup:

Last edited:
Man, those sure look delicious. Excellent work. I’m curious about the Erythritol as a sweetener what’s your take on it? I’ve never tasted it but must be good or you wouldn’t put it in the sausage. Like.
Thanks!
I'm glad you pointed out the Erythritol.
I basically eat sugar free and low carb all the time.

Erythritol is a sugar alternative that is 0 net calorie, does not cause an insulin spike, is easy on the digestive system, and occurs naturally in nature (not a man-lab invention).
I always have a bunch of Erythritol on hand and used it in place of sugar.
Erythritol is 70% as sweet as sugar and tastes just like it.
You can use sugar in place of erythritol to make this sausage just reduce the amount by 30%. So 10gm of Erythritol = 7gm of sugar to match the strength of sweetness :)

Diabetes is basically guaranteed to everyone on both sides of my family so I figure I would get a jump on it as well as try to eat better and help with weight management by going no/low sugar and carb in my life lol.

Let me know if this makes sense.
Dang man, excellent work there. I know you've been working on these for a while, and it sure has paid off. They look perefect. :emoji_thumbsup:

Thanks! Yeah I'm glad I got it nailed. Its good stuff for sure!

Very nice "C"
I've enjoyed Texas hot links when I used to visit there. Always cured and always smoked to package and smoked again to heat to serve.
I taste Texas hots more to German style than to Polish style.

Amazing job on this. I have wanted to do some of these for quite some time. I'll be sure to revisit this thread when it's time. We'll done sir.

WOW!! Those are some excellent looking sausages. Very well done and a great presentation. The pics came out really nice and that sausage just jumps off the page,

Robert

Wow great looking sausages. I really have to get my butt in gear and try my hand at these.

Point for sure
Chris

Those look fantastic !! I may grab a pack while you aren't looking. :emoji_sunglasses:
Thanks! Hahaha, I'm positive you will enjoy whatever pack you snag :D
Fantastic looking mess of sausages!
Thanks!

Very nice "C"
I've enjoyed Texas hot links when I used to visit there. Always cured and always smoked to package and smoked again to heat to serve.
I taste Texas hots more to German style than to Polish style.
Thanks! Yeah German and Czech influence is heavy in the sausages here in TX. Those European immigrants to the state also learned the values of Texas flavors and the use of peppers like Jalapenos and such. It all swirled together to make some amazing sausages here in the state :)

Amazing job on this. I have wanted to do some of these for quite some time. I'll be sure to revisit this thread when it's time. We'll done sir.
Thanks! This recipe will do the trick if you want a hot link for sure. Revisit and ask all the questions you have and I may just have some answers :D

WOW!! Those are some excellent looking sausages. Very well done and a great presentation. The pics came out really nice and that sausage just jumps off the page,

Robert
Thanks! I don't really know how to take pictures too well but I try and use the few tricks I have while just getting quick snaps in. I take them while the process is going on so no time to do any staging and prepping. Just a little moving to get the shot in and snap the pic :D

Wow great looking sausages. I really have to get my butt in gear and try my hand at these.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks! Making good sausage at home is an great thing. Once you nail it, you'll love it :D

Reactions: Fueling Around
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky