Texas BBQ Rub?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ron eb

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
Baltimore
Ok. I'm back. Looking to do some fall but smoking. My wife got a container of BBQ rub from a friend in Texas. It tastes really salty. Must be void if sugar. I'm doing a pork shoulder and I put sugar in my rub. I guess I could hit it with some brown sugar when I foil wrap half war through the smoke. Tha shoulder is 6 pounds. Here is a pic of the product. Any ideas. Food to smoke at 6 am est.

Being a Texas rub , that may be more tuned to beef bbq , which is way mo popular in TX.....
Just a thought.....
You can certainly tweak that rub to make it more pork friendly , but you could also make or buy a pork style rub and save that one for beef.....

I thought beef rub also. I also considered. Altering it. My wife wanted to use it as and give it a tru since it was a gift. At IT OF 175 I wrapped it in HD aluminum foil. Toots it with brown suger and squeeze butter in hopes to offset the salt. Put in a half a cup of apple juice and put it back on. I just removed it with an IT of 205. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the in put. I will keep posted. It testing quietly now.

If you like Texas style flavors, lookup Aaron Franklin's YouTube channel. His rib rub is 2 parts black pepper to 1 part salt plus garlic, onion, paprika and chili powder. It's great on rid, & I bet it would be great on a shoulder as well. His brisket rib is just salt and black pepper, equal parts.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky