Test fire of LOGO, RO Embers and Kingford Cherry Wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TunaciousBBQ28

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 10, 2021
So, I'm cooking ribs tomorrow on an offset smoker, that I have never used. I have a Traegar Texas at home.
I lit a kettle with 20 Royal Oak Embers briquettes, 7 or 9 hunks of FOGO lump and 2- 3" X 4" Cherry wood chunks by Kingsford.
To ignite, I spread some cooking oil on an 8" paper plate, and one Royal Oak Tumble Weed fire starter. The fire was exceptional and was lit after 15 minutes.
I
2013-12-31 23.00.00-7.jpg
will monitor the coal heat retention and post back how long they lasted.
2013-12-31 23.00.00-5.jpg
2013-12-31 23.00.00-6.jpg

Curious to see where this is going.
I've been using Weber lighter cubes to get a chimney going lately but crushed up newspaper or credit card offers also work.
Usually about 15 minutes.
That charcoal is my charcoal of choice right now....

Curious to see where this is going.
I've been using Weber lighter cubes to get a chimney going lately but crushed up newspaper or credit card offers also work.
Usually about 15 minutes.
That charcoal is my charcoal of choice right now....
It has been one hour and I still have very good heat retention. I added 4 more pieces of FOGO lump and they ignited in 5 minutes.
Looks like my cook will be okay as I know I can maintain a proper fire.

I used to light Kingsford blue bag briquettes with newspaper. It was a smoky mess. A few days ago, I used newspaper to light B&B briquettes and it took 30 minutes with 3 sets of newspaper. Lighting FOGO lump was even harder. A forum member suggested using egg crates, with a light coating of cooking oil. I did not have the egg crates, so I used one piece of cheap paper plate- lightly coated with cooking oil. I bought the Royal Oak, so I put one in with the paper plate. The fire was much better than news paper.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky