Test Batch #2 with Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sqwib

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 25, 2007
Philadelphia
Batch 2
For 4lbs. Sirloin Tip and Top Round
  • 1 tbsp medium – coarse grind black pepper
  • 1 tbsp paprika
  • ½ tsp crushed red pepper
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tbsp garlic powder
  • ½ tbsp onion powder
  • ½ cup Worcestershire
  • 4 tbsp tender quick cure (see note)
  • ½ c. Capt. Morgan’s Orig. spiced rum
  • ¼ c. brown sugar
Mop
  • Barbecue sauce cut with Capt. Morgan
  • Honey

Honey Jerky
Cure for 36 hours. With the above recipe
Rinsed meat, patted dry, brushed with warmed honey
Cracked some fresh coarse grind black pepper sparingly on surface of meat.
Flip over and lay on rack
Brushed with honey Cracked some fresh coarse grind black pepper sparingly on surface of meat.

Honey Barbecue Jerky
Cure for 36 hours. With the above recipe
Rinsed meat, patted dry, brushed with warmed honey on 1 side
Cracked some fresh coarse grind black pepper sparingly on surface of meat.
Flip over and lay on rack
Brushed with a mix of 1 part Captain Morgan and 3 parts Barbecue sauce on the opposite side. Cracked some fresh coarse grind black pepper sparingly on surface of meat.

Weather
22 ºF, 15-20 mph winds and snowing like crazy, accumulation 23”
Maintained heat OK actually I am a little surprised with the blizzard that I had to actually use the needle valve to keep it below 150ºF

Cooking temps / Smoker

1 chunk cherry wood 2 lumps of lump charcoal, started smoke with propane torch

Results

The honey batch was ok but a little too sweet for my liking the Honey Barbecue was better but what I would do differently is use omit the honey use 1 part Worcestershire and 2 parts barbecue for the glaze. Or just brush with Worcestershire then crack the pepper.
I felt it was lacking that Worcestershire flavor. And the Barbecue sauce is usually sweet enough without the addition of honey.

I liked the texture of the Sirloin tip better than the Top round but still not as good as the Venison that was posted in test batch #1.

Posted in test Batch#1; I think I like the texture of Beef better than Venison, the tear and pull is great on both but I thing the venison mushes up in your mouth more than beef.
Updated after Test batch #2 completed; Test Batch #2 completed and the Venison in batch # 1 had a better texture than the beef and seemed to acquire the flavors better.

So I guess it’s going to be hit or miss with the different cuts of meat.

Conclusion:

Partially froze the meat, about 4 hours in the freezer, should have froze at least 6 hours before slicing.

Next batch I will reduce the TQ to 1.5 teaspoons per pound of meat, thanks Richtee.

I believe I got more reduction in size with the beef as opposed to the Venison, I’m guessing that its due to the fact that Venison is leaner. I may slice the BEEF slightly heavier than ¼” maybe around 3/16” for the next batch

I will concentrate on spicing the meat more on the outside rather than the inside. In this batch it seemed to me the best flavor came from the Glaze.

Only use fresh cracked pepper, nothing less than medium grind for marinating the meat and coarse grind for the outside of the meat. What a difference fresh cracked pepper makes.

I want to use Soy sauce because I think that gives it a nice flavor, but I am reluctant to use it due to the TQ. I may try it next batch.

140ºF was OK for drying, don’t think I would go any higher, at that temp it was a little under 1.5 hours per lb.

6” Rack spacing worked out well.

The reason behind having each side of the meat flavored differently was to be able to taste both flavors individually not mixed, it sort of worked but needs more tweaking.

One nice thing about the honey was that you got that black pepper burn but then it was gone.

Notes:
Make a checklist of everything before starting, in this test batch I didn’t realize I was out of 1 Galloon zip loc bags.

Next test batch Spicy Orange or Coconut.

Looks Great...
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky