Tequila injected into pork butt?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lumberjackandy

Original poster
Oct 7, 2022
Knoxville, TN
Hey y’all, first post and need some advice/opinions on an experimental recipe..

The idea is to smoke a butt and pull it for pulled pork tacos for a Mexican themed meal. I was thinking to use some kind of Mexican seasoning (taco, carrnitas, etc.) as a rub with brown sugar to get the bark. But I was interested in trying to inject with tequila and lime juice where some use a bourbon mixture to inject for flavor. In my mind this could add a nice flavor to the meat in a different way than the normal smoking flavors but I’m not sure how it would be in execution and I have only found recipes mixed with a hot sauce or jerk flavoring.

Has anyone tried this idea of using tequila or think it had potential before I waste perfectly good alcohol?
Thanks for your help!

I don't inject so I can't say how it would affect the flavor, but if I were going to try something like this. I would smoke the butt and add the mixture to small portion of the pulled pork after it's shredded. Just to see if the combination works for your taste buds.

Chris

I don't inject so I can't say how it would affect the flavor, but if I were going to try something like this. I would smoke the butt and add the mixture to small portion of the pulled pork after it's shredded. Just to see if the combination works for your taste buds.

Chris
Thanks Chris! That’s not a bad idea, adding it to the shredded meat after you test the flavor. Might need to do a trial run first

Close to straight tequila and lime as an inject would not be very good imo. Diluted as others said like a margarita might be good.

Reactions: lumberjackandy
It works fine, you just need to mix the tequila, lime, sugar, salt, garlic and whatever else and simmer to burn off the alcohol, then chill and inject. It’s good.

Reactions: lumberjackandy
It works fine, you just need to mix the tequila, lime, sugar, salt, garlic and whatever else and simmer to burn off the alcohol, then chill and inject. It’s good.
I didn't bother simmering off the alcohol, but the tequila/margarita flavor did come thru.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky