Tender Jerky Advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BB-que

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 8, 2016
So I cannot get my jerky tender - I use eye round , slice 1/4 thick and dehydrate in dehydrator at 160 until internal temp is 150ish. There’s tender pieces here and there but most of it is tough and chewy. I’m gonna keep fiddling with a few things but any tips?

Last edited:
I have always thought that dehydrated jerky is tough and dry. Great for a wagon train but not so much for tender.
If your over can go to 170 or so give it a shot in there.
If not my pellet pooper makes fantastic jerky at 180 if you have that option.
Also depending on your marinade you could add some pineapple juice to naturally tenderize.
Good Luck on your next batch!

Reactions: Trigger01
You can add a small amount of baking soda to the marinade.

Do you slice against the grain? Slicing with the grain will make for a more traditional chew, and against the grain will be more tender. I buy London broil, but the name can be deceiving depending on the market or butcher shop. My favorite market uses top round, and I can get them to slice it 1" to 1.25" thick, which makes my slicing very easy.

So I cannot get my jerky tender - I use eye round , slice 1/4 thick and dehydrate in dehydrator at 160 until internal temp is 150ish. There’s tender pieces here and there but most of it is tough and chewy. I’m gonna keep fiddling with a few things but any tips?
I haven't done it with jerky but marinating tough meat with REAL pineapple juice for a few days really does wonders for tenderizing other beef like skirt steak etc.

I assume this would work with meat you slice for jerky.

Another far superior option is to make your jerky from low fat ground beef.
You want 90/10 ground beef or better. The lower the fat the better the behavior and less fat/grease leakage to be had.

If you have a grinder you can simply take the meat you are slicing now and grind it up. Just cut away fat before grinding and you will have lean meat unless you are using a fatty cut.

Ground meat jerky is like 10x softer on the teeth and is what the jerky companies use on that jerky that is in stick form or in nugget form that is so easy to eat.

I hope this info helps :)

I am not a big jerky fan, just because I don’t like chewing that much. So, when I make jerky, I do ground jerky. That way the grinder already did the chewing for me. Good stuff, same flavor, but easy chewing!
Al

Reactions: bauchjw and tallbm
I am not a big jerky fan, just because I don’t like chewing that much. So, when I make jerky, I do ground jerky. That way the grinder already did the chewing for me. Good stuff, same flavor, but easy chewing!
Al
Interesting, I’ll go that route, I’ll look up how to do it but sounds like a winner for more chewable jerky.

Interesting, I’ll go that route, I’ll look up how to do it but sounds like a winner for more chewable jerky.
Here's the more common way.

Here's the more common way.
Just ordered one - look for pics next week once I find the time

Reactions: tallbm and Steve H
I mix up my ground jerky, chill very well and then roll out to a 10 in x 16 in sheet about 1/4 in thick. I use plastic baking mat for the bottom and parchment paper for the top. Then I smoke the sheet of meat until done and slice in strips.

I just made wagon train jerky last week, while muscle venison. Just like we like. Rip a bite off and just chew a little and enjoy that bite for awhile. But yes, we have made ground meat too. Used a jerky gun and it works great

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky