Temperature question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnnie2130

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 8, 2007
Louisiana
I've read about the temperatures it takes to cook different meats and the finished temperature. Being new with smoking, I'm not sure I completely understand this.

For example, if it says to cook the meat at 225 and the finishing temp is 170, what does this mean?

Does it mean to set your smoker on 225, put a probe in the meat and take the meat out when the inside temp reaches 170?

I may be way off. I'm sure it's simple, but I just don't completely understand it. Thanks for any help you can offer on this.

It depends on the meat, and what you want to do with it. For example, if I do a pork shoulder and want to slice it, I take it out at 170°F. If I want to pull it, I let it cook to 200°F internal.

What type of smoke are you thinking about doing?

Hope this helps!

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

yes. it may be a difference of hours but we cook by internal temp ofthe meats- not time. you may also havea plateau- the meat may rise in temp to a certain point then stall for hours(happens often w/ brisket) maintain thepit temp. & have patience. try signing up for the free 5 day e course on smoking basics. and ask lotsof questions here when you like- always someone here willing to help.

If a brisket or any meat reaches a plateau, just leave it in the smoker until it reaches the desired temp?

BTW, I signed up for the e-course and got my first 'lesson' today.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I haven't gotten the smoker out of the box yet. It's a Christmas present for my dad and I plan on smoking things with him. I'm trying to figure things out now. I know very little about smoking.

What kind of meat is something good and easy to start with?

You have it exactly right, even though it is tempting to raise the temp in the smoker, don't do it. Just leave it alone and the internal temp of the meat will eventually start to rise again. Good luck, the e-course will answer a lotof your questions, but don't hesitate to ask here as well. Everyone is more than willing to help.
icon_razz.gif

A possible hitch if you plan on doing it Christmas Day... the smoker should be cleaned and seasoned. Wipe out the inside, looking for any heavy oil or other spots, and wash the grilles. Spray the grills and inside of smoker with Pam, then heat it up hot for an hour maybe and run a couple chunks of wood thru it. Don't want paint or oil fumes to ruin that first run!

Johnny:

You are asking some good questions. I have read this whole thread and you are getting some very good advice too. I think that after the eCourse I would decide the kind of meat I wanted to do first. Then I would go to the Forum that covers that meat. For example Pork. Read all you can there, about Pork butt for instance. You will see many posts that talk about that particular meat, the procedure to follow, the temp of the smoker and the finished temp of the meat. Following what some of the other members did, that they found successful, is a good way to start.

One other thing. It is easy to go buy someone a gift and just hand it to them. I think your gift is going to mean so much more because of all the extra effort and behind the scenes work you are putting in to it.

I know it will be appreciated and you both will enjoy.

Good Luck,

Skip

what they said...x-mas is still a week off...do a 10-12lb pork butt before then just fer practice- that'll give ya ideas & it'll most likely turn out great. if not & ya got dogs......we got faith....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky