Temperature question - more of a poll really

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Are you saying that my previous post, where I posted links to various sites, including the USDA, and then said that it looked like using sous vide at 135 degrees followed by dehydrating at temps that stay above the danger zone violate this sites policies???

I too saw the "jerky on furnace filters" video and it looked like a horrible idea, and I made no recommendation that anyone follow this.

I don't like being called out for something I didn't do.

The USDA has put out guidelines for Home Jerky making. It is Cut and Dry...Using the Dry heat of a Smoker or Dehydrator heat the interior to 160°F before dropping to 130 to 140 ! Period. You posted heating to temps of 140 in the Dry heat of a Smoker or dehydrator. So as is Policy, I posted the USDA Jerky Guidelines. When you questioned that, I went deeper still, explaining the DIFFERENCE between the Direct Contact SV Heat and Dry Heat heating. Now, if you had said, " I SV my meat in the marinade at 130°F for 121 minutes or 140° for 12 minutes, before dehydrating..." I would have not needed to get involved. But you made no mention of SV until AFTER you were called out, as you put it. I don't know what the problem is. There was nothing Personal here. ANYONE that posts incorrect or dangerous info like, initially heating Jerky at 140 with Dry Heat, will be Corrected. I consider the matter closed. If there is anything else, PM me...JJ

If you wish to read the Science behind how the USDA determined their guidelines for Jerky read on...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/connect/0698f81b-68b7-4563-be07-714239027516/C31_NewTechnology_Final_Report.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&ved=2ahUKEwj59JOWxcfkAhVMdt8KHdv3CZ4QFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw2PLtAmR78l8xyGlyM_coA_

I’ve read articles that say the USDA uses this because it’s very simple for the public to follow. The science proves it’s not only temperature but time as well. Lower temps at longer periods will kill the bacteria just the same. A dehydrator is not dry heat until most of the moisture has evaporated. It’s very moist for several hours.

I understand the basis of raising the temp to 160 to kill the bacteria in 1 minute. Just to make sure I understand the rest of the idea though, raise to 160 and then after that you are safe to lower the temperature 140 for the rest of the drying process?

I understand the basis of raising the temp to 160 to kill the bacteria in 1 minute. Just to make sure I understand the rest of the idea though, raise to 160 and then after that you are safe to lower the temperature 140 for the rest of the drying process?

Yes. You don’t have to stay at 160 the entire time.

P PrairieGeek Aside from the safety discussion...

I smoke my jerky every time on my rec Tec at 180 for a couple hours and they up it to 225 till I get the dryness I am looking for. In total i think it takes about 3-4 hours... I cut mine at 1/4"+. work fine every time. I have tried a few version but OFG Jerky is my fav!

I plan on putting it on the smoker at 170-180 30-45 minutes to get some smoke flavor. Then I am going to try my new dehydrator. What you recommend me to set the dehydrator for 140 or 160?

140 will be good. The high temp in the smoker will take care of bacteria...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky