• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Temperature Measurements

weleksein

Joined Mar 13, 2020
I have a mini-offset smoker, and the thermometer on the top has about a 3" stem. A thermometer placed on the grill surface reads about 25-30 degrees higher than the top thermometer. Should I adjust my temperature myloweslife.com to allow for this difference? When a temperature is specified (such as 250 degrees) where is this temperature to be measured? On the grill surface, or from the themometer located on the smoker lid?

Last edited:

smokeymose

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015
Go with the grill surface. That's where you're cooking. Those factory thermometers are pretty much only good for decoration anyway...

smokeymose

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015
I have a Tel -Tru at the top of my offset and it consistently shows about a 50 degree higher temp than the Maverick at the grate. Remember heat rises. It's somewhat handy because I can look at it across the patio and when it's straight up at 300 I know the grate is around 240 to 250. Replace that factory one with a hood ornament or a better thermometer and trust your remote.
:-)

mike243

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 25, 2018
I assume you mean on the rack the meat sets on ? if so and your lid thermometer is adjustable make them match. If you are talking about the top of the smoker lid then you need a reading at grate level.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.