Temperature in the CampChef Woodwind

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BaldEagleOne

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 10, 2018
I've ordered a CC 36" Woodwind which is replacing my Daniel Boone. On the Boone, there is a big temperature difference between the temperature set on the smoker and what's actually on the grill because the thermocouple is down by the firebox. I wondering if I'll have the same problem with the CC?
Thanks

Reactions: kruizer
Probably something similar. The temp will change across the grill. Get a good thermometer to check the temps across the grill. Pretty sure all grills have those issues.

The biggest problem I see with any brand of pellet grill/smoker with an adjustable temperature set point is the owners expect it to be the gospel. I'm sure some brands are better than others but all have some variation in actual temperature.
In any industry, accurate temperature measurement can be very elusive.

Yesterday I noticed that the actual grate temp was higher than what the controller was reading on my new CC SG24. Since you can make adjustments in 5 degree increments, it isn't a problem to fine tune the grate level temp.

The 36 has 4 probes. Can one be used to measure the temperature at the grill?
You can do that, but I prefer to use a separate thermometer. You also need either a grate clip to hold the probe, or jam it through a raw potato to get the probe off the grate.

You can do that, but I prefer to use a separate thermometer. You also need either a grate clip to hold the probe, or jam it through a raw potato to get the probe off the grate.
I wonder when Jeff, or I guess anyone else, specifies a temperature, is it at the grate or at the firebox? i have a Smoke with 2 probes. I use one for the meat and one for the grate on my GM Boone. It comes with a bracket that raises the probe off the grate.

I wonder when Jeff, or I guess anyone else, specifies a temperature, is it at the grate or at the firebox? i have a Smoke with 2 probes. I use one for the meat and one for the grate on my GM Boone. It comes with a bracket that raises the probe off the grate.
Back when I joined this forum, most everyone was using a 2 probe thermometer ........ one probe in the meat, one to monitor grate level temp, so any posted temp was grate level. I learnt what I know in this forum, so that's how I do it.

Back when I joined this forum, most everyone was using a 2 probe thermometer ........ one probe in the meat, one to monitor grate level temp, so any posted temp was grate level. I learnt what I know in this forum, so that's how I do it.
Thanks. But is there any reason not to use a probe from the CC?

It's fine as long as you know it is reading accurately.

I have a Camp Chef Woodwind PG36. There's a lot of room inside these babies, the probe is hard against the left side. I used my Thermoworks Smoke remote thermometer on my first few cooks to check the probes and what the grill thinks it is. I found the probes in the meat were pretty much accurate, and the grate temp was about 10 degrees cooler on the far right side. I feel the convection on pellet grills help control hot or cold spots, in the house we always adjust cook time shorter when using our convection ovens.

I have a Camp Chef Woodwind PG36. There's a lot of room inside these babies, the probe is hard against the left side. I used my Thermoworks Smoke remote thermometer on my first few cooks to check the probes and what the grill thinks it is. I found the probes in the meat were pretty much accurate, and the grate temp was about 10 degrees cooler on the far right side. I feel the convection on pellet grills help control hot or cold spots, in the house we always adjust cook time shorter when using our convection ovens.
The fire pot is about 1/3 of the way across the grill. I assume it half way on the 24. You're going to love your Camp Chef.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky