Temp won’t increase

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mikeopteris

Original poster
Sep 6, 2021
Greetings,
Newbie here. I have a smoke hollow SH36GW propane smoker that was given to me by a neighbor that was moving. I cleaned it and replaced the broken thermometer and fired it up. Tried to smoke some simple straightforward sausage and bone in pork chops both for about 7 hours. Neither turned out too good and I had to finish them off in the oven. The temperature never gets above 150 degrees Fahrenheit and I’ve noticed that the flame remains the same no matter how I turn the control knob. What do you think is wrong? Do I need a new regulator? Thanks!

MO, Welcome, I'm not familiar with that model, not sure where you are located but if the temps were at all cold it maybe as simple as your propane tank. The valve must turned on for a few minutes prior to appliance ignition. Just a thought?

Whith it running shut the tank off, when it goes out turn it off, turn the tank on very slowly then try relighting it and see if it will get higher flames

MO, Welcome, I'm not familiar with that model, not sure where you are located but if the temps were at all cold it maybe as simple as your propane tank. The valve must turned on for a few minutes prior to appliance ignition. Just a thought?
That makes sense and I’ll have to pay attention to that come colder weather. But I live in south central PA and the temp today is 84 in the shade. Thanks though. I appreciate the help.

Whith it running shut the tank off, when it goes out turn it off, turn the tank on very slowly then try relighting it and see if it will get higher flames
Thanks! Justplainbob said to do the same. Did that and the temp increased to 180. I think now the problem may be in the burner. I appreciate the advice though, thanks

On amazon search for adjustable propane regulator. My gas grill gets crazy hot with that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky